Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Speedifour electric start

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paul Munson
    Participant

i should have posted that I did some more tinkering and checking and found out what my problem was with regards to the heat and poor cranking.

1. The cables I had were too small. I thought this could be the problem but I wasn’t sure until I started searching the internet for issues with starters/generators on old cars. I was using a cheap set of wires from a set of jumper cables I cut up. The wire gauge was not large enough. After reading around I found that I should be looking at #2 gauge wire. Once I made this switch the starter turned like it just came out of the box.

2. The cloth covered wires inside the metal wrap had areas where the metal had been damaged and exposed wires that were shorting.

Once I put new wires in and new cables I had made a the auto parts store it started up for me. It took me a bit to get the timing squared away but once I did it had no problem starting. I ran it for about 15 seconds just to hear it run but I can tell I need to clean the carb and get it adjusted properly.

Thanks,
      Paul

Paul Munson
      Participant

For the coil, would I be looking at switching out the inside with the same componants as I did with my Elto Ruddertwin. I did rebuild one of those and it worked out well. If it is I am thinking I would just be putting in double what I did for the Ruddertwin, correct?

Thanks,
        Paul

pm-t2
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Correct on the coil swapping scenario. Twice the work as the Elto Light Twin. One coil/condenser for each cylinder level. You probably wouldn’t do this, but I have learned about an instance where the ignition was mistakenly wired so that the coils were wired in a way that one supplied spark for the starboard side of the motor and the other was wired for the port side. The engine will not run this way, as one unfortunate soul found out.

Hope this helps.

Best,
          PM T2

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.