Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Zephyr 4404

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    brambles1
    Participant

Started another ‘hobby’ last year and am not the proud owner of several old outboards. All for pretty cheap. Second to latest score is a 4404 which is unfortunately seized up.  The Old Outboard Book v3 just arrived and online research shows this should be a 5.4hp built in 1948, but the serial number doesn’t line up(Serial #00055). Could anyone help explain the discrepancy? Thanks. Nick

The Boat House
      Participant

See where it says –
        Same as 4402
        1946 -to 25000.
        That would be 00001 to 25000
        Your motor is a very early 1946.
        Tubs

brambles1
        Participant

I did see that and found it a little confusing. It seems that it is very early in production. Had the lower unit off and the prop spins freely so maybe stuck rings? I’m new and learning. Have some mystery oil soaking. Thanks for the clarification Tubs.

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello Brambles and welcome!   That propeller on your Zephyr has a slipping wedge in so that might need some attention also.   I have two of those old timers.  Both have the 4404 model number and they have differences.   After ww2 OMC was throwing parts together to get motors into the hands of it’s customers.  Some have twist grips some don’t some have cast aluminum thanks some have tin tanks.  Previous owners switched parts also.   Good luck with yours!  Hopefully you can get it turning with some penetrating oil and some time.

dale

brambles1
            Participant

Thanks for the welcome and information Dale. It seems that as a newbie I should start with another motor to tinker with, so I am with a 1953/54 Seahorse JW-10 and just got good spark on the top cylinder.  I’ve read the 4404’s are kind of difficult to work on.  Found it odd that I didn’t need a puller for the flywheel as it seems they were designed for easy removal by just backing of the nut. And the use of a metal water impeller is interesting. Hope yours are runners and you find/make the time to enjoy them.

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the welcome and information Dale. It seems that as a newbie I should start with another motor to tinker with, so I am with a 1953/54 Seahorse JW-10 and just got good spark on the top cylinder.  I’ve read the 4404’s are kind of difficult to work on.  Found it odd that I didn’t need a puller for the flywheel as it seems they were designed for easy removal by just backing of the nut. And the use of a metal water impeller is interesting. Hope yours are runners and you find/make the time to enjoy them.

My pre1950’s motors don’t get run to much.   I am more into the classic kickers.  These zephyrs can be a bugger but they are quiet and smooth runners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sukJZLhYbWw

dale

brambles1
                Participant

Very cool. Looking forward to getting to that point.

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Amazing if a person could get two Zephyrs on the same boat to both run at once!

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
                    Participant

Old outboard motor math-
                      2 motors = 2 X the fun!!
                      Tubs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.