Home Forum Ask A Member Exhaust Cover Bolts

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Try it if you want, but my answer is nah. At least not where I come from (salt water)

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant
        quote crosbyman:

just curious but could the standard white or yellow plumbing teflon tape make bolt removal simpler in the long run,as well as reducing metal to metal corrosion ?

I doubt the Teflon tape would handle the heat. I use a good anti sieze,without copper. I recently found Jet Lube Marine Grade Non Metallic Anti Sieze in my search for a good anti sieze. This should do the trick. Also the OMC or Perfect Circle gasket sealer is a good choice from what I was told by outboard mechanics.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How about studs, spacers & a nut.I have used this on Mercury 4 cylinder motors. Never worry about getting them off too.

Mumbles
          Participant

If the gasket area around the bolts/screws is sealed well with Permatex #2 or something similar, wouldn’t that stop water from getting into the threaded area in the first place?

chris-p
            Participant

I personally always use OMC Gasket Sealing Compound on the bolts. Guess my grand kids will find out in the future how well it works.

aquasonic
              Participant

US Member

quote Chris_P:

I personally always use OMC Gasket Sealing Compound on the bolts. Guess my grand kids will find out in the future how well it works.

I also use OMC gasket sealer. Somewhere, I recall reading that it’s best to use the same sealant that is used on the gasket, and it works for me.

There was a thread on here not to long ago about Yamaha using Teflon based thread sealer. There were some positive comments about it. I’d like to hear more about it.

Monte NZ
                Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Down here in NZ I have been using a product called Fisholene for avoiding studs rusting and seizing on outboards and cars for over 50years and my Grandfather and my Dad also used it over 80years ago. It isn’t expensive and last well in storage.
                  I understand that this is a fish oil product. I have never had any problem undoing studs or nuts made of stainless or ordinary steel that have been installed with fisholene.
                  It has a strong smell, (which the ladies don’t like) but this goes after a few days.
                  I just dip the stud into it, install and tighten and wipe off the excess.
                  After a few days it goes into a gum and never goes hard. Excess can still be wiped off with a rag and turpentine at this point.
                  After it has gone gummy you can paint over it.
                  The fact that it goes gummy is good too, in that it stops studs from undoing and falling out.
                  One point to remember is to always hang up rags to air to avoid spontaneous combustion, as it is an oil product.
                  In NZ they sell it in rattle cans.
                  I hope you can get it in your area, because I am sure you will find it works well.

Cheers
                  MonteNZ

PugetSoundBoater
                  Participant

I contacted Valspar ,who makes Fisholene. No distributors in the USA. Swear I’ve seen Valspar spray paint at USA stores. No Fisholene for us.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                    Robbie Robertson

Monte NZ
                    Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Well,I am very surprised to learn that Fisholene isn’t available in the USA!!
                      However, I do remember a friend of mine who moved from NZ to Canada in 1968 and was unable to get it, resulting in me sending can of it to him.

It’s very popular with the vintage car guys here.
                      I still have a gallon tin left over from doing inside the door panels and box sections of the cars I restored.
                      These days modern cars are better rust proofed and painted so I guess that’s why the vintage guys and us older chaps are the only ones using it.
                      I think it is processed from shark oil.
                      I must admit that I am very disappointed that you can’t get it, especially as it works so well and it isn’t expensive!!

Cheers
                      MonteNZ

The Boat House
                      Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.