Home Forum Ask A Member Fair market value

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    A Hoskins
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am an A.O.M.C. member helping a non member friend sell a small collection of antique and classic motors. I know the old axiom about motors being “worth what you can get for them” but I would like to start off with realistic and attractive asking prices. I have a copy of Peter Hunn’s Old Outboard book but it is dated to say the least. Could I just use Peter’s values plus a percentage across the board or is it gonna be more complicated than that ? Thoughts and advice from members would be appreciated. Thanks, Gene

"Fox News" isn't.

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

Pricing can be a real “can of worms”.

In Peter Hunn’s book, look just before the table of contents for the latest copyright date – there are several editions over several years – you can’t guess at a “cost plus a percent” without knowing what year you are starting from. Also some motors have appreciated much more than others over the years, so a blanket statement of % increase would not be correct for a lot of motors.

I have 2nd edition, 1994, and third edition, 2002 books; and between these 8 years, many prices are the same, but some are up 50% or more. Also some motors at some conditions stayed the same, while other conditions prices have changed. For example, some examples in #1 condition have stayed the same while #3 and #4 condition of the same motor has doubled.

A few years ago I bought a motor from a guy who had posted a couple motors on Craigslist and dropped them $10/week until they sold. It’s another way of trying to get max price.

Peter Hunn’s prices also don’t take into account price variations around the country due to supply and demand, prices are generally a bit lower in Minnesota and Wisconsin because there are so many motors available.

The thing the book does tell you is which motors are worth more than others, even if the values shown are in question.
        Dave

Junior
        Participant

When in doubt, give them to someone as freebies; ‘what I do with ALL my AOMCI collection(s) of “The Antique Outboarders” ( magazines ) as well as bits , parts , pieces , motors and literature including Peter Hunn’s BOOKS, every time a person comes to my location ( Central NJ).

*However I’m new at this collecting, having only been a member since ~ 1969

regards Junior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=17X05F-z3DE

http://www.midstateantiquestockcarclub.com/articles.html

A Hoskins
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Perchance, sir, you have not always been known as “Junior” in these parts.
            While giving away one man’s trash/treasures is an admirable endeavor having long since written off your investment, I’m not at liberty to do such with someone else’s goods. If Peter Hunn’s 20 year old rough estimate of collector value is in the $100 range, we’re a far cry from freebies at this point in time. With respect, your experience and involvement exceeds mine by 15 years. Thanks for your input.

"Fox News" isn't.

The Boat House
            Participant

If your willing to put in the time you can watch
              eBay for what people ask for the motors your
              interested in and what they actually sell for. What
              they actually sell for would be the high end of value
              as eBay reaches such a large audience. You can
              also list them for best offer in what ever means
              your are considering using to sell them. Old
              outboard motors have a small following so just
              searching out people that have an interest in wanting
              them can be a challenge. Most models are plentiful
              so the value is pretty much what one person will pay.
              That can vary quite a bit from one person to another.

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

From what I have been seeing in the northeast, value has actually gone down. A tough TD20 might have been listed for five or ten dollars in Peter Hunn’s book, but the reality is you literally cannot give them away. At the other end of the scale, Clarke Trollers are selling for about half of what they did ten years ago. Like ALL antiques, the people like us who actually care about them are simply dying off and the new generations can’t get connected to it. On the other hand, the market for early video games is starting to climb. The other thing is, four strokes are here to stay and two-strokes very well may be outlawed someday. Sitting on about 100+ old motors, nobody is more unhappy about this than I am.

Long live American manufacturing!

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Bill, I gave away about ten of those green Johnson’s the last two years at Tomahawk,
                  but it was a struggle. 🙂

From what I have been seeing in the northeast, value has actually gone down. A tough TD20 might have been listed for five or ten dollars in Peter Hunn’s book, but the reality is you literally cannot give them away.

Prepare to be boarded!

wbeaton
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Price is subjective especially with old outboards. Ask 10 people what they paid for the same motor and you’ll get 10 different answers. Peter Hunn’s price guide does two things. One, it establishes a baseline value for most motors and conditions. Two, this baseline shows the difference in value relative to other motors. From this difference the reader can determine what is valuable/desirable from what is not. If you absolutely need a hard number then apply your own correction factor to the price guide or adjust the values for inflation using the AEIR cost of living calculator.

https://www.aier.org/cost-living-calculator

Wayne
                    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.