Home Forum Ask A Member Firestone 3.5HP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dan-h
    Participant

I have an old boat motor and am new to the forum.

I have an old Firestone 3.5HP outboard. It was given to me when I was a kid by a diver that recovered it from the bottom of a lake. At that time I took it all apart, cleaned the pieces and put it back together and got it running. I used it several times then just kept it in the basement.

Forty years later I dug it out and tossed it in the back of my truck to go with the other scrap that’s been bothering my wife. But then I just couldn’t see it going to be crushed after the history I had with it so I pulled it back off the truck.

So now it’s in my shop and I’m considering rebuilding it and giving it an over all sprucing up. When that’s completed I’ll either sneak it past my wife and back in the basement or maybe sell it to a new owner with a bigger basement and more understanding wife.

The motor is a Firestone 10-A-2 3.5HP Code No. 133-7-477
      The motor serial number is: 477-221940 Does this mean that it was made in 1940?

I’ve seen some Firestones on the internet but none that look exactly like mine. Mine has two knobs on center under the throttle lever, one is the choke and the other is the mixture control, and a two piece aluminum shell enclosing the area below the fuel tank.

What color should this motor be and was it all one color, also what decals should it have?

Thanks in advance! Dan

frankr
      Participant

US Member

It is a 1947

hosting images

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice looking motor for being from the drink. Fun little motors! Yes, KEEP it!!

dan-h
          Participant

Yep! That looks like the one except mine is a rope start.
            Thanks Frank!

So the serial number ending in 1940 isn’t the date then?
            I want to paint mine if it was painted. Do you know what the colors would have been or was it just clear over aluminum?

Goman
            Participant

I don’t know much about the motor…. but I sure like he story. 🙂

frankr
              Participant

US Member

The motor was built by Scott-Atwater. The "477" part of the serial number is the Scott-Atwater model number. The "47" part of the model number 477 is the year. The paint is dull aluminum. The only decal is the one on the front of the tank.

joellerich
                Participant

US Member

I have the same engine except mine is a 7.5HP. If you are looking for decals. Dixie Hamack may be able to help you. She is making a set for me for the 7.5HP These a pressure sensitive vinyl. You can reach her at 763 421 5346 or djhamack

John

2gmail.cvom

bigdog
                  Participant

New forum member here…

We inherited the family farm 3 years ago and are finally getting through the last of the junk that has accumulated there since at least the early 1900’s.

In the basement I found an old Firestone 3.5 HP 10-A-2 boat motor. It was probably the motor for the 1969 15′ aluminum Rich Line boat that we found. The engine’s Code No. 133-7-477, serial number is: 477-220209. I was fortunate enough to also find the Operating Instructions Service Manual.

I pulled the starter cord and the engine turned over which was what saved it from the scrap metal bin. I figured I’d change the oil, put in some new gas, change the spark plug and see if it starts up. That’s where I got stuck. I see the spark plug is a Firestone F-50-LF. I did some research and I can’t seem to find a modern equivalent so I can replace it.

Would anyone here be able to direct me to the right modern spark plug or should I just pull it, clean it, check the gap and put it back in?

Thanks! 🙂

seakaye12
                    Participant

US Member
                      seakaye12
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote FrankR:

It is a 1947

hosting images

That Picture is not showing for me……

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.