Home Forum Ask A Member Flywheel Torque Needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Does anyone have the torque value handy for the flywheel nut on a late 80’s or early 90’s 20 horse Evinrude? This motor has the under flywheel power pack and the threads are 5/8 – 18. Not sure if it has the built in rev limiter or not. Thanks in advance!

grover
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a service manual for 1980 25 & 35hp; that called for 100-105 ft-lbs.

Mumbles
        Participant

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s what it is.

Thanks Larry!

chris-p
          Participant

I opened up my OEM Manuals for that model and they state 105 ft/lbs as well.

They also state to use OMC Gasket Sealing Compound on the threads! I have never done that before, nor read it before. Anyone else?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have read that, but would ignore the advice, would be too easy to get sealer on the crank tapers.

frankr
              Participant

US Member
                quote Chris_P:

I opened up my OEM Manuals for that model and they state 105 ft/lbs as well.

They also state to use OMC Gasket Sealing Compound on the threads! I have never done that before, nor read it before. Anyone else?

Most of the newer manuals say that. I don’t know if it is for a thread lubricant, or a locking agent, or both (?) Old manuals don’t say that and I only work on old motors so haven’t been concerned. But anybody know for sure?

johnyrude200
                Participant

I’ve had to upgrade to an OMC flywheel puller and beefier torque wrench/break bar setup to start working on the newer motors from 1977 and up. Anyone care to explain why a 1976 model 25hp needs only 40-45 ft-lbs or torque, whereas the bigger block now calls for 105 ft-lbs? I managed to pull the flywheel off an ’86 25hp model using the wimpy harmonic balancers you find at any automotive store, and doing that once was enough to say the least.

I just picked up an OMC flywheel puller – where should I pick up those 3 bolts for the tool (it was a salvage from a long closed dealership). It did not have the flywheel holding rod either, any recommendations for a good substitute?

I may be posting a few pictures of some OMC special tools that I am trying to identify from this lot as well.

david-bartlett
                  Participant

Joel,

McMaster Carr has shoulder bolts that would work. I’m sure you could find a piece of round stock somewhere for a handle. The bolts I linked are similar to what is in my set. The handle is just 0.5" round stock, 10" long.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91259A587

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91259A632

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.