Home Forum Ask A Member Folding Lightwin, seized upper driveshaft splines

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

after the powerhead is removed with the shaft ,now is the time to use the air hammer

Yes indeed…Should be able to air hammer that driveshaft down and out without ruining anything once the powerhead is off….

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

use the air hammer side to side near the crank. I use WD40 along with the hammer.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Got back to this project for a little bit today and learned some stuff….Knocking out that lower pin surely did allow me to remove the powerhead/seized driveshaft. Once off the exhaust housing, I learned the driveshaft was not seized to the crank! There is a roll pin just underneath the upper splines like on the 5.5-7.5hp models. There is a slot in the exhaust adapter plate like the slot found in the later 6hp models that requires the driveshaft be lined up correctly so the roll pin can slip down through the exhaust adapter. The powerhead was a bit stuck, but it freed up easily. So, this project can move forward….

David Bartlett
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don,

Good news. It is great to have a project or two during these crazy times.

David Bartlett
            Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m kind of excited about it, never had any experience with a folder. The gearcase on this one is busted up, but I have another one, so just need to swap the driveshaft. Not the nicest physical specimen, but OK…Will have to keep an eye out for a case….

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

They are really handy little outboards.We take ours camping with one of our small boats or as a back-up on our larger boat.They stow in a small space and in the case,leave no unwelcome grease spots.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.