Home Forum Ask A Member For those boats that have seatbacks, what is the angle from the seat to the backrest?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

A 90 degree angle would be too uncomfortable. I think, because of sitting in my boat and getting a rough estimate by sitting and taking some pictures, about 20-30/degrees past 90 is not too bad?

Anyone have a really comfortable seat they can sit in then measure for me?

Thanks

kerry
      Participant

US Member

If you will be the primary driver, set the angle for you. Most newer cars have multiple adjustments, including back angle. Measure and build accordingly, and you might be the most comfortable driver on the lake. 😀 😀 😀

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

outboard315
        Participant

Copy where the seat in your car is and you will be comfortable.

stanley
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Upholstered or not?

mr-asa
            Participant
              quote Stanley:

Upholstered or not?

Not, doesn’t fit with the rest of the boat (fiberglass and aluminum trim) however I’d be wearing a life vest and would likely have a seat cushion underneath.

I’m modifying the seat slightly to do this

A rough design of what I’m thinking. Seat will be .25" aluminum plate, as will the seat backs, the supports will be cast by me.

This is a 10-15 degree lean, even 20 degrees was way too far

outboard315
              Participant

.25" that is slightly overkill. Make it from .100" aluminum and put an arch in it and maybe bead roll a design in it.

outboard315
                Participant
                  stanley
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

15 degrees is the standard.That assumes that the seat is a little higher at the front than where it joins the back.Depth of seat is usually abt.16 or 17".Make it a little deeper to allow for your vest.I always make a mock up out of cheap plywood and try it out first.

amuller
                    Participant

That’s a lot of work. I would gin up something out of plywood with an adjustable backrest angle and do some experimenting. See what works for you. Also, you’re in Florida. Aluminum seats with get hotter than hell in the sun. Another approach could be to get some old boat seats and experiment with height and angles. Or a pair of front car seats from a small car (U pull it junkyard).

mr-asa
                      Participant
                        quote Outboard315:

.25″ that is slightly overkill. Make it from .100″ aluminum and put an arch in it and maybe bead roll a design in it.

I’m worried that the seatbacks will end up pulling the mounts out after time. Additionally putting a debossed/engraved design in the seat face will either need a special mold, or thicker metal so I can cut the design into it. That would mean tools I don’t have or have access to yet

I’m working with what I have, basically

quote amuller:

That’s a lot of work. I would gin up something out of plywood with an adjustable backrest angle and do some experimenting. See what works for you. Also, you’re in Florida. Aluminum seats with get hotter than hell in the sun. Another approach could be to get some old boat seats and experiment with height and angles. Or a pair of front car seats from a small car (U pull it junkyard).

It won’t be much work, actually. Casting will be the most labor intensive process for me, I’ve got access to a CNC router that will cut aluminum plate. I was planning on roughing out something in plywood so I could test fit it.

I did think about the heat of aluminum, but the seats are already made of aluminum and I don’t want to ruin the aesthetic of an old boat. I’ll just keep a towel in the boat to sit on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.