Home Forum Ask A Member Fuel connectors…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

This might be in the nature of a trivia question, but does anybody know why Mercury (etc) switched from the bayonet style fuel connector to the OMC style. I can see why the OMC pressure tanks called for a double hose connector, and the subsequent single-hose tanks have some automatic functions that might be harder to implement with a simple connector. (I know Mercury used pressure tanks for a while, but I know nothing about them.

Just curious…..

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t have anything other than my background in mechanical design and industrial equipment to actually back up my thought on this. I am going to say that when any design changes like this are seen in anything that is manufactured in large numbers, cost is the biggest driving factor. The OMC style 2-prong single line fitting is one of the most cost effective designs for a fuel connector made. Everything can be made inexpensively and still be completely functional. Very simple amd effective design for the retention and a ball, spring, amd an O-ring on the fuel line.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

joecb
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like said … COST! The bayonet style was a metal die cast part, tapped thread and a screwed in hose nipple. The male side (engine) , also metal die cast and threaded. The bean counters got their way… again. But at least on this item , we all came out good.

Joe B

amuller
          Participant

hampion used what look exactly like air hose connectors.

rudderless
            Participant

…after years messing with all kinds of fuel connectors I now take the fittings off the ends of “no burst” faucet connectors and use them. Ya haven’t lived until ya try it.

amuller
              Participant

faucet connectors? Could you explain a little more?

rudderless
                Participant

Get a what we call here is a delta extension 12′ …has one male and one female fitting to extend a flex supply. Cut off the crimps and pull off the ends. Now ya have a female and male end. Attach ends to hose and just screw together…no tools necessary…and absolutely no leaks. I do remove rubber seal and use a gas proof oring. I distain any other existing connector and will never use anything else.

..fyi…1/2 pex crimps work great for 3/8 rubber hose.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by rudderless.
                  amuller
                  Participant

Interesting. Will try that. Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.