Home Forum Ask A Member fuel filter element, Mark 25?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Working on a 1955 Mercury Mark 25E. I was told the sintered fuel filter elements are famously troublesome. I remembered seeing a stainless mesh filter in the past but found and bought a plastic Quicksilver filter that may be the latest incarnation. I was surprised when it wouldn’t fit into the filter cover. Came to find out there was an early version that was short and wide, then a more narrow and tall version. These photos show two Mark 25 carbs.

IMG_2357

IMG_2359

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by davidk.
      davidk
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is there a Quicksilver filter element that will fit and replace the shorter element?

IMG_2362

IMG_2361

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When you say, “famously troublesome,” in what way do you mean? I know they can be hard to get clean; but I have never heard of them breaking down or disintegrating. Maybe I am lucky. I have found that soaking them in Zep Morado, a high-strength, purple degreaser/detergent, then blowing out with compressed air, cleans them pretty good. As for fit, I think I have used the plastic filter in the later filter covers. I have never tried to find a replacement filter for the ’55 style filter covers because I have always been able to clean the existing ones. I have to admit that I have seen a lot of different fuel filters in the marine business and nothing comes to MY mind, as to a direct replacement for the earlier filter.

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you could always install a fuel modern filter on the fuel line …if really stuck

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

davidk
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I got the “famously troublesome” info from a famously troublesome Mercury mechanic friend of mine. Thanks for the suggestion of soaking and blowing it out, Bill. I suppose I could also swap it out for one of the other filter holders that fits right on the fuel bowl. Looks like that’s a change Mercury made, and if it’s newer it must be better, right? : )

Good suggestion on the inline filter, Crosbyman. Thanks. I’m not that stuck yet. Just looking to see if there was a newer filter element that fit on the old style holder. Thanks all!

melugin
              Participant

US Member

Heat will also remove varnish from these, even fire. Then use compressed air to remove ash.

David Bartlett
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I got the “famously troublesome” info from a famously troublesome Mercury mechanic friend of mine. Thanks for the suggestion of soaking and blowing it out, Bill. I suppose I could also swap it out for one of the other filter holders that fits right on the fuel bowl. Looks like that’s a change Mercury made, and if it’s newer it must be better, right? : )

Good suggestion on the inline filter, Crosbyman. Thanks. I’m not that stuck yet. Just looking to see if there was a newer filter element that fit on the old style holder. Thanks all!

“Captain Cantankerous” likes to keep you on the defensive!😎

David Bartlett
                  Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.