Home Forum Ask A Member hard to reach nut

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

that lower nut on the cyl head of the 9.5 turtles (MQ’s – 9R72) is kind of hard to reach and tighten properly even with a socket & flex joint with the lower housing in the way

it is way at the bottom and the adjacent… . vertical water tube

any special trick to apply the necessary inch/lbs

Attachments:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have not tried to reach this fastener on one of these but it looks like it may be a good place for a ratcheting boxed-end wrench with a flex head. Just a thought.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the water tube down from the thermostat takes up lots of room next to the bolt head and there is not much room. Sockets will fit but not much else

adding a universal joint to the socket head also take up lots of room causing the socket to slip off the bolt head

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

I’ve always used a box end wrench and tightened them to boutright, torquing the rest with a torque wrench. You do enough of them and you can get a feel for what is about good enough…

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

Sometimes tight places like that require a socket with the U-joint built into it. This takes up a lot less space than a socket and separate U-joint.

The most compact ones I’ve seen are some old Snap-On flex sockets i inherited from my grandfather.
              Dave

Here’a a photo of a Craftsman:

reivertom
              Participant

US Member
                quote Chinewalker:

I’ve always used a box end wrench and tightened them to boutright, torquing the rest with a torque wrench. You do enough of them and you can get a feel for what is about good enough…

I agree, many times I’ve had to stick my tongue out and use my "internal torque wrench" on stuff.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                  quote outbdnut2:

Sometimes tight places like that require a socket with the U-joint built into it. This takes up a lot less space than a socket and separate U-joint.
                  The most compact ones I’ve seen are some old Snap-On flex sockets i inherited from my grandfather.
                  Dave
                  Here’a a photo of a Craftsman:

didn’t have any of those in my tool box but will soon have some …. 🙂

thanks

p.s. my only son better develop a liking for oldies and tools because my tool boxes…are is getting heavier year after year 😆

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

Since the flex-sockets are something most of us don’t use very often, you may want to get the house brand at Menards – under $30 for a 7 piece set and they lifetime guarantee them.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/ratchets-sockets/masterforce-reg-3-8-drive-sae-flex-socket-set-7-piece/67230/p-1524810596610-c-9159.htm?tid=3388903890803428431&ipos=2

Anonymous

1/4 inch drive 3/8 socket and 1/4 inch drive ratchet or a 3/8 box end wrench, either one will work.

theodore
                      Participant

Maybe you could do it with a Saltus wrench.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.