Home Forum Ask A Member How do you clean your parts?

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    brian
    Participant

Back in the 50’s or thereabouts, a company sold Gardianware pots and pans. It must of been real popular because you can find it in virtually any antique mall. All different sizes made real heavy. There is so much of it that a person can shop around until you find it at the right price. I have a heavy cast iron camp stove fueled by propane. Eventually I will buy one of those large pots and try boiling parts clean. I keep procrastinating but it will eventually happen

simoner1
      Participant

I have a large sonicator that I can place small to medium sized parts in. I sonicate for several minutes with 91% isopropanol(low water containing rubbing alcohol buy it at the pharmacy). Tends to work well with ventilation and no ignition sources. I put the parts in a separate container with the rubbing alcohol and fill the sonicator trough with tap water. Larger parts good luck. Maybe a good wiping with the 91% isopropanol will work for the big stuff. I also rinse parts between sonication with distilled water because my local water is hard and leaves spots on parts when they dry.

The other stuff that you can use that costs a bit more is Vulpex soap. You can make a water solution or Stoddarts solvent solution with the stuff. After soaking rinse with distilled water. Follow the directions for dilution from the supplier. It is used by conservators to clean museum pieces. Worked for me for degreasing old bayonets, rifle stocks, and coleman stove parts. Sonicating speeds up the process.
        Cheers.

The Boat House
        Participant

For me it takes a village.
          I’ve tried all the water base degreasers and they seem to be pretty much the
          same to me. I use this one from Home Depot because I go there a lot.
          Aluminum cleaners sometimes are helpful. I’ve used Gumout carb cleaner
          for decades as a petroleum solvent. It cuts the heavy stuff as well as anything
          I have found but it does evaporate quickly. One evening, at our hotel in
          Tomahawk, a guy came over to look at our stuff. He was working in the area
          and staying at the hotel. He went back to his truck and returned with two cans
          of this Citrol multi purpose degreaser. To be polite I took it but didn’t expect
          to much. I was trimming up a pine tree and had some sap on my hands. Not
          much that will take that off and this stuff said biodegradable so I gave it
          a try. My skin burned for 20 minuets after but it took the sap right off.
          Tried it on a few other things and decided I need to get some more of
          it till I checked out the price. Found another citruses based degreaser
          (Blaster) that’s not so pricey but its no where near as good. Wire brushes,
          scratch pads, and steel wool also have some value. Always looking for new things
          to try. That Tub Of Towels commercial look interesting. Anybody tried them yet?

First I take off the mag. and carb. and block off the intake. I put the motor
          a stand, scrub it down with a water soluble degreaser and hose it off.

Then what remains could get some of this and a little of that.

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yikes Tubs,
            I looked up the SDS sheet for that Citrol degreaser. That’s mean and nasty stuff for a water/citrus based biodegradeable solvent. I would advise against using it as a hand cleaner in the future. 😯

https://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-76 … _9EALw_wcB

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.