Home Forum Ask A Member how to static time 1954 Elgin 7.5

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    seahuntboater
    Participant

Greetings. I just finished redoing the coil swap using Sierra windings onto the old metal plates from the Elgin. I am wanting to use the ohmeter to do static timing on the points. At first glance I do not see any marks on the engine. I have never tried this before. Are there any marks? or do you just use something in the cylinder to find when the piston is closest to the spark plug hole (top dead center?)

Thanks Ralph

Tom
      Participant

US Member

You don’t need to time the points to piston movement,since moving the mag plate changes that. If you simply set the points to the proper gap, the magneto timing should be fine.

If you want to optimize performance, time the points so they open exactly 180 degrees apart. That is, adjust one set to the specified gap, then set the flywheel to where that set is just starting to open. Without moving the mag plate, rotate the flywheel 180 degrees and adjust the other set to just start opening.

A simple way to “rotate the flywheel 180 degrees” is to make a mark on the flywheel and line it up with something that doesn’t move, like a cowl mount or a recoil mount. Then use a tape measure and determine the circumference of the flywheel. Measure half of the circumference and make another mark, which should be 180 degrees from the first mark. Line up the second mark with the same thing you originally lined up with the first mark. Now the flywheel is 180 degrees from where you started. Adjust the second set of points.

T

seahuntboater
        Participant

That was awesome…. Thanks Tom. Can’t wait to get my new wires and try that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.