Home Forum Ask A Member I have a crank problem :(

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    onelakefly
    Participant

Unfortunately, I wasn’t paying complete attention when trying to remove the flywheel. I did not realize the puller was penetrating the threaded end of the crankshaft until it was too late. What would you suggest doing in this case? A machine shop? A used crank? A parts motor?(although I kinda wanted to get the thing running) It’s a 1958 Scott-Atwater 7.5hp
      35851068 R.

C50EAECB-E6AA-4C5C-AC87-82B332B154D7

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
      jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I need to look what powerheads I still have & it’s yours free, just shipping costs. I’m not doing that well with my health & need to check the shed which is 120 degrees in the shade. No one told you to put the nut back on loose to prevent splitting & the fact metalorgy wasn’t that good in the 50’s. We all learn from mistakes but I hope I can help,
        Jeff

amuller
        Participant

Hmmm. Any chance you could trim some of that mess off and have enough threads left to hold the flywheel on?

onelakefly
          Participant

Yes, I’ve managed to get the nut back on…sort of crooked, but on. I don’t feel real good about that flywheel spinning in that condition. It’s probably ok though.

onelakefly
            Participant

That would be mighty kind of you! 🙂

onelakefly
              Participant

And you’re absolutely right! I never thought about putting the nut back on before using the puller. That make complete sense!

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m so sorry, that is a shame. I could totally see me making the same mistake…

amuller
                  Participant

I would say if the nut is on “crooked” it’s not OK. You only need a few threads to be engaged, they need to be engaged properly.

The Boat House
                    Participant

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

Tubs, you must have been “popping wheelies” and over torqued that one!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.