Home Forum Ask A Member I have two fuel pump questions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    stanley
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s my first time working on an outboard motor with a fuel pump.The first question is,can a bad pump work very well at low speeds,but as speed approaches 1/3 -1/2 throttle cause the motor to repeatedly slow and then speed up?I’ve checked every other possibility twice and think the pump is the culprit,but wanted to check here before I bought a pump.Second question is what is a good aftermarket fuel pump?The motor is a Johnson QD24.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by stanley.
      Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I believe your problems could be fuel pump related, but the same thing will happen
        if the fuel filter is partially plugged. Of course, if the inlet to the fuel pump is sucking
        air, that can be an issue as well.
        Not sure what’s the best replacement fuel pump, but there should be plenty
        of information if you do a search on this site.

Prepare to be boarded!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Mumbles
        Participant

I’ve found quite a few of the original pumps used on the early sixties 5.5 and 10 horse motors are quite durable and still work well. But like anything else, they can get tired with age and will need replacing sooner or later. Rebuilding them isn’t an option anymore  as I believe the rebuild kits are unavailable now.

Aftermarket square pumps as used on the later 6 and 9.9 horse motors are readily available and will work just fine on your ten horse. Search for Sierra 18-7350 and you should gets lots of results from Ebay, Amazon etc. One advantage of the square pumps is the inlets and outlets can be clocked in amy position to suit your needs. Doing it requires the instruction sheet so everything goes back together orrectly.

When the square pumps get old, the diaphragm inside gets really hard and brittle.  Symptons are similar to yours, the motor will keep stalling at low speeds due to lack of fuel but might run just fine at high speeds.

Square-Fuel-Pump

https://youtu.be/AGUtfa51GxI

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

One way to verify a fuel pump diagnosis is to pump the primer bulb when the faltering condition starts to happen. If the engine picks up and smooths out, the pump is a very strong possibility. If this temporarily solves the problem, I’d just go ahead and try a new fuel pump. They don’t cost a lot. However, it can also be from air leaking into the fuel line, anywhere from the pick up in the tank, to the filter on the engine. You would likely see a fuel LEAK, too, if you pumped the primer ball and the air leak was anywhere beyond the primer bulb. An air leak before the bulb can be a little trickier to find.

Long live American manufacturing!

necks
            Participant

US Member

Stanely, I’ve got an older E-Z go Golf Cart, 2 stroke gas motor, which I had the same similar problem with, run the battery down, checked everything out ok, last thing I pulled fuel line off fuel pump going to carb, gas come out of pump but not very fast, next I recharged battery. After battery charged I went out, and it started rite up, motor ran rough like motor was flooded, took it for a ride after it finally started to move, motor cleared itself about half a block later, and ran fine, drove it around for half an hour, no problems. Parked it, next day went to start it, killed battery and won’t start, checked everything ok, took spark plugs out so I could pull motor over by hand with rope, removed fuel line off fuel pump, pulled rope fuel dripping out line like before. I bought a fuel pump off e-bay, hooked everything back up, pulled rope on engine, fuel gushed out of fuel pump, recharged old battery, installed new spark plugs, motor turned over once and purred like a kitten,after that went out and bought a new battery, problem solved. Fuel pumps can be hard to diagnose from time – time, you look at all the equipment it is being used on, those pumps take quite a beating. Gene.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like bill says, try squeezing the primer bulb when the engine misbehaves.   If rpm picks up the most likely you have a fuel supply issue.  There are many possibilities aside from just the fuel pump, you might try another tank and hose with fresh fuel/oil mix.  This engine has a separate fuel filter that could be messed up also.  Please don’t shell out big bucks for a new oem pump until you have confirmed it is actually to blame.  After market pumps are cheaper but quality is a gamble at best.  I would avoid the cheap Chinese knock offs that have flooded online

Steve D
                Participant

What these guys are saying about the fuel pump, air leaks, squeezing the primer bulb when it misbehaves, etc. are all things to check first. But I’ll throw this out there only because of the symptom you describe as repeatedly slowing down and speeding up. There are a couple variations of that symptom but one of the causes  can be electrical.

Some guy sent me a video of what his ’63 Evinrude 10 HP was doing and when I posted it here a while back a couple guys immediately said, “that looks like an electrical problem.”

So I popped the flywheel and saw a black mark on the armature plate where there was some arcing going on. So to avoid any hassle I just replaced the coil and plug wire and the motor ran great after that.

Not saying this is your problem, just passing it along as an outside chance that your slowing down and speeding up is an electrical issue somewhere.

arcing

https://youtube.com/shorts/syRj_tsWSbw

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Steve makes a great point indeed.  Perhaps you could publish a video of your engine misbehaving.

Nonetheless, pumping the primer bulb while an engine with an ignition miss would make no difference, so he would not have replaced the fuel pump in this case if indeed the problem is ignition related.

stanley
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you for all the responses/advice.I have a new fuel pump to install this weekend and weather permitting will run on boat to see if that is the fix.I’ve gone over the ignition and carb several times,but found no problem there.I have squeezed bulb continuously when surging starts and sometimes it seems to help and other times it doesn’t.When I removed the old metal OMC fuel pump,I could see that the diaphragm had been replaced with a homemade one.If it surges with the new pump,I’ll video it.

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

“,I could see that the diaphragm had been replaced with a homemade one.”

Well, that certainly seems like a good place to start, then! Let us know how you make out, whether it works or not….

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.