Home Forum Ask A Member Is it worth it?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    outboardboy3
    Participant

At the moment I am in need of an outboard. Right now on Craigslist there is a 1957 Johnson 18hp QD-19. It runs and pumps water good. Has great compression. Also shifts into the gears fine. It comes with a pressurized fuel tank. All for $250. Is it worth that? Thanks.

49morphew
      Participant

US Member

How is it cosmetically? If it’s good mechanically it’s worth $250 all day. Great motor. Love mine. You won’t be disappointed

chris-p
        Participant

semantics as there is no real difference between a ’57 and ’58, but a QD19 is a ’58. Either way, both good motors and if in good cosmetic shape worth 250 all day long running and tuned up.

phil-b
          Participant
            quote Chris_P:

semantics as there is no real difference between a ’57 and ’58, but a QD19 is a ’58..

QD is a 10HP. The 1957 has the heavier 5-bolt gear case (from the 15/18hp) and the 1958 has the lighter gear case from the 5.5/7.5

An 18hp would be an "FD"

They’re all good (some prefer the earlier 10hp)

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good catch, Phil B. It can’t be an 18 if it’s a QD and it can’t be a QD if it’s an 18. So if the seller can’t even get THAT right, alarm bells should be going off……It could be an 18 with a QD tag on the bracket, though, if the bracket had needed to be replaced…..I would look at it; and if you like it, ask for at least a test tank demo run.

Not sure how you are at identifying power heads, as to whether it’s an 18 or a 10. There are lots of visual differences. Maybe someone will post some pictures. But the easiest one to describe with words is that 10s have a flywheel that looks at least two inches smaller in diameter than the recoil housing could encompass. 18s are going to have a flywheel that looks proportionate to the recoil.

Long live American manufacturing!

outboardboy3
              Participant

I apologize, I typed in the model number wrong. Yes it is in good cosmetic shape. Also the flywheel fits close to the recoil, so it is an 18hp. Thanks to all.

Steve D
                Participant
                  quote BillW:

Not sure how you are at identifying power heads, as to whether it’s an 18 or a 10. There are lots of visual differences. Maybe someone will post some pictures.

Attachments:

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like all have said, a 10 or 18hp of that vintage with a good pressurized tank is surely worth every penny of $250. But, you will want to confirm it is actually in good mechanical condition….Just cuz it runs and starts does not mean it isn’t hiding something. Start with confirming whether or not it is a 10 or 18hp! Make sure it isn’t a "mix and match" engine! Next I would examine the inside of the fuel tank carefully to make sure the bottom of the tank is not fouled/rusted. Check gear lube and compression also….

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

Compare the model and serial number on the Welch plug ( a quarter-size shiney silver disc pressed into the side of the engine block) with the info on the ID plate by the transom clamps. If it doesn’t match, the powerhead or clamps/ID plate have been swapped. This doesn’t mean it’s bad – but if they don’t match, be sure the model is the same or ID it so you know what you are getting that’s different. I’ve run across a few that don’t match – some good, some bad. You can see the welch plug on the side of the cylinders in the photos posted above. I have a 1960 5-1/2 Johnson that has a 1957 Evinrude powerhead – whoever did this probably didn’t get the cooling changes right because it’s seized up – it was a free parts motor to me so I don’t care.
                      Dave

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.