Home Forum Ask A Member Is this some kinda military-issue tank ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    retiredoz
    Participant

US Member

Reason I ask is the decal, which refers to a Navy part no for the oil to mix. Also seems to have some kind of mounting or hold-down bracket on the sides

david-bartlett
      Participant

That one is interesting. I have never seen one like that, and it is curious that it has the ears for the hose, even with the built up part. The "Tall" tanks do not use the ears.

Mumbles
        Participant

I’m not sure what’s going on Oz but my McAfee throws up a red flag when I click on your link. 😕

tom-in-ri
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have seen those stackable cans in military use. But thus far I have not come up with anything from searches on the G503.com site or other military vehicle sites to show who fielded them.
            What are the markings on the bottom?

lotec
            Participant

Correct, my understanding is they came with the military RDs. They are pretty similar to the 1953 "square" tanks but have that large rim for stacking – they weigh a lot more, but if that’s from thicker steel or the addition of the rim I can’t say. The housing, cap and diaphragm appear to be the same as the consumer motors, though I have not had mine apart to see if there are internal differences. I don’t recall any markings on the bottom but will dust mine off to see.

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

Aside from the raised rims it does look like any other early pressure tank. The stacking aspect makes sense – it’s not as if you need room for 100 ft of hose ! The decal refers to "Gale Products Division’ of OMC , was there a military ‘Gale’ ?

And Mumbles, ya got me. My McAfee doesn’t give a rip, apparently.

kerry
                Participant

US Member

When I served in the Navy in the late 70’s, I remember working on a portable water pump that used a Bigtwin motor for power. Used to pull raw water for firefighting, or as a large bilge pump. The gas tanks had extra long hoses and were stackable, but being newer and single line, the ears were a different design.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

These 50 horse power pumps were used during WW2 …

kerry
                    Participant

US Member

Garry, that design is similar to the one I mentioned. I want to say the one I worked on was a P-250, but every image I find on the net is a newer pump with a modern motor on it. This link has operating instructions that mention a half pint of oil per gallon mix, and pushing the button on the tank until resistance is felt. Sounds like a pressure tank to me. http://www.tpub.com/dc32/53.htm

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

dsaulsbury
                      Participant

US Member

Here is a pic of the P-250 I had. Frame was aluminum and tank fit in frame on top. The other pump is a Trembly from Canada with K (Ithink) powerhead. The guy I sold it to ran it at Constantine with the cotton hose and nozzle that it came with. The hose didn’t have a rubber liner and leaked little spurts until it swelled up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.