Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson A series cooling

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

I wanted to ask about the muratic acid idea. I’ve used it on aluminium before to remove heavy corrosion

Be careful with this stuff as muriatic acid is bad stuff and it will dissolve aluminum right in front of your eyes! In fact, I use it undiluted to dissolve aluminum which has wiped onto cylinder walls from scuffed or scored pistons. This only take a few minutes before neutralising the acid in a baking soda solution. Since it won’t dissolve cast iron or steel right away, it also gets used to remove rust and deposits from marine exhaust manifolds and risers and other parts which can’t be glass beaded or sand blasted.

I can’t emphasise enough to wear gloves, eye protection, and avoid breathing the fumes at all costs when handling this stuff! It’s dangerous!

Here’s a cylinder with aluminum transfer on the wall from the scuffed pistons. Honing alone won’t remove the aluminum so a bit of muriatic does before honing.

Six-Horse-Aluminum-Transfer-2

Six-Horse-Acid-Wash

Six-Horse-Prep-034

need2fish
      Participant

WRT Muriatic (Same as hydrochloric, but dilute and with impurities) acid, consider using phosphoric acid for cleaning rust and deposits. The parts will still need neuralizing but it’s much more people friendly.

I’ve had success with using CLR on some parts…. don’t like what it does to chrome.

Your results may vary 🙂

adam1961
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I do have a gallon of Phosphoric acid here. I use it for removing rust from auto body panel that have surface pitting. I am goinf to run this motor in a bigger tank and see how it does. If cooling is still not right, I will have to pull that cylinder and investigate it further.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.