Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson DT-10 questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rco
    Participant

I have had a DT-10 sitting in the shed for a while. Just dug it out and started looking at it. It is completely dent free, and has good compression so I’m planning a restoration. I am wondering what the lever on the bottom rear of the powerhead is for? It must be some sort of exhaust relief, but what is the purpose? Also wondering what the color scheme should be. The cowls and powerhead look like dull aluminum, but I see traces of what looks like sea mist green on the midsection. There aren’t many pictures of these on the web that I can find.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

This is the DT-10 I bought for $10 last year at Tomahawk. It’s now a nice runner.
        I can’t for the life of me remember an exhaust cut-out on these.
        If it has an exhaust cut-out, I think they’re usually for ease of starting,
        as the engine would have less back pressure when the valve is open.
        My old Polaris snowmobile had one, but that was purported to be for
        more "power"…… not sure it helped, but sure was loud!
        Already got the shed locked up for the night, but maybe I’ll look at mine
        tomorrow.
        Not sure how original the color scheme was on mine, or even if the L.U. is original.
        Just found another photo, not my outboard, but I have it labeled
        "original decals". "May be green on it’s L.U. as well, but hard to tell.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I believe the green is zinc chromate primer – Now illeagal because it causes cancer in lab rats. The prewar finish was dull aluminum. They switched to Johnson green in 1946 . . . 😎

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.