Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson P-35

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    marc.h.
    Participant

US Member

I am sorting out my P 35 and wondered if anyone has any experience in replacing/reaming the bushings in the lower unit. Also the thrust bearing on mine was rusted, I cleaned it but it’s still very pitted… thanks. Marc H, Atlanta ga
      Oh a prop would help.

92673EDD-BC46-4ABA-A40F-22935E5D1B32

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by marc.h..
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by marc.h..
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
      lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good evening Marc
        I have a P35 that I finished last summer. It’s a great, strong runner.
        I made a tool to push the old bushings out and installed a decent set I had from a cosmetically challenged lower unit.
        I’ll take a look and see if I have a good thrust bearing for that LU. I don’t think I have a prop but I’ll look for that too.

marc.h.
        Participant

US Member

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Even a not too good bearing will be better than mine.
          I wish someone could make new bushings. The issue is always that spiral lubrication groove that no one can duplicate….
          Could you please check and see if it’s a south bend or Waukegan P35? I have a mint South bend P35 sn 55275. I try to find the cut off serial number but it seems they made them at both plants. I have a P35 plate 52509 that says Waukegan. Could be a repunch but looks pretty original to me.,,
          Please let me know what your sn nr is and also if your your advance lever is blank or shows advance/retard lettering…
          The P35 I work on had an incorrect data plate so I don’t know if it’s a South Bend or Waukegan produced motor. It’s sn 57728. I think K35s serial numbers vs production site could be useful as well.
          My mint South Bend (S.B.) P35 , and my questionable 57728 P35 have no exhaust manifold cooling ribs. All my P40s do…
          Thanks
          Marc

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by marc.h..
          lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My serial number is 55856 I believe and is a South Bend motor.
            The advance lever has no printing.
            The original manifolds on my motor were smooth but very distorted due to over heating.
            I put on a spare set of P40 ribbed manifolds that I had.
            My theory is the smooth manifolds were prone to distortion from over heating so they were replaced at some point with the ribbed manifolds that cooled better.
            The bushings could be made on a lathe and the spiral grease groove could be cut with a dremel.
            I can get more info when I get home from work.

marc.h.
            Participant

US Member

Good info.
              So, S.B. P35 s had no cooling fins on the exhaust manifolds and no lettering on the advance lever . I assume that WAUKEGAN P35 s had cooling fins and lettering in the advance lever. The exhaust manifolds with cooling fins could also have been added by dealers after 1927, or bought to replace the obsolete un-finned manifolds.

Would be nice to install a modern seal and use oil in the lower unit…
              Marc

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My South Bend # 53174 has 1 ribbed one finned,no printing on mag handle.

pm-t2
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Regarding the spiral oil groove – what is special about that one? I make bearings for rowboat motor crankcases and cut spiral grooves in them alla time. Just curious is all.

FWIW – I also make Johnson electric start rotor puller tools in my spare time.

Best,
                  PM T2

marc.h.
                  Participant

US Member

Hi C. thats what i was wondering as well. It s just that every machine shop I had bearings made at couldn’t duplicate the spiral groove. Usually.5 tpi or I full 360deg groove per 2 inch of bearing….
                    Marc.

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

I’d be curious to know how the master machinist makes those grooves as well.
                      I’ve only tried a couple of times and wasn’t happy with the results.
                      I didn’t try under power feed though, but rather hand cranking out of the bushing
                      at a fast pace.
                      What’s the procedure?
                      Guess I should spend a hour some day practicing.

Prepare to be boarded!

oldemtr
                      Participant

Is there anything here that would match ?

Grooved bronze bushings:
                        https://www.mcmaster.com/bushings

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.