Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson TD 20 1946-1949

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    Participant

Can anyone give me some direction on what replacement coils to use for a Johnson TD 20.. any hep would be appreciated

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Are you sure you need to replace them? Those coils are almost bulletproof. 375189 Listed as NLA but there should be lots of used ones out there.

375189coil

todd281
        Participant

try this link : https://nerp.net/~legendre/johnson/Johnson%20TD20%201946-1949%20parts%20manual.pdf those coils rarely go bad however I would check them out and eliminate all other things first. [especially the points] as I remember I believe those coils can be rebuilt with not allot of trouble. seem to remember seeing a website explaining how to do it. As they can be rather hard to find.

frankr
          Participant

US Member
            Mike M
            Participant

Thanks for info.. I have no spark in upper plug when using plug tester.. lower plug sparks great.. I switched the condensers and still no spark at top plug. I guess I will switch coils and see what happens with upper plug before I replace. Could it possibly be anything else? Thanks again

Mike M
              Participant

I have spark in one plug and swapped condensers around with no luck.. I will swap good coil and see if it sparks.. what do I need to do as far as points just clean or replace? Thanks for all your help

frankr
                Participant

US Member

I maintain that at least 90% of the time, dirty breaker points are the no-spark problem on those. Take the points completely apart and de-grease and polish each contact individually. Reinstall and set gap to 0.020″. Do one set at a time so you have a sample of how they go together, and don’t lose any of the little insulators.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.