Home Forum Ask A Member JW-22 Magneto Timing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

My question concerns the timing of the magneto to carburetor on my 1967 JW-22. I know the 67 and 68 models differ from other 3hp Johnsons.
      There are no timing marks on the throttle cam. There are no notches on the tank support plate (as on the Evinrude 3hp models).
      Somewhere I read that the timing is accomplished as shown in my attached photo where the cam just fully centers on the throttle arm and then slack is taken out of the carburetor linkage.
      As you can see in the photo, this means the cam must be adjusted to the full limit of it’s travel. Is this the correct timing for the 67 JW-22?
      Thanks,
      Nick

20190808_113020

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.
      Mumbles
      Participant

To synchronise the carb to the ignition, you have to use the timing marks on the gas tank ring. The speed control lever should be between the two dots as the carbs butterfly just starts to open. Lightwins are different.

JW-Synch-Marks

drifter
        Participant

Thanks Mumbles. My Ring only has the dimple under the arrow on the tank ring. I looked in my Seloc manual for timing on the JW-22 and it states “Pickup point #6” in the appendix. When I look at #6 in the appendix it reads: “starboard side of mark”. I can barely make this adjustment even with the cam adjusted all the way out. Does not appear that the cam is worn and no grove in the throttle arm. Might be slop in the bearing surfaces of the throttle arm. I found another reference in my Clymer manual volume 1 on page 158. It shows a photo and reads: “to synchronize speed controls on 1967 and earlier models, move the speed control handle until the leading edge of the cam is behind the center of the cam follower …..the cam should just remove free play in the linkage.” The photo shown mirrors my photo in my original post. I must be close for sure.
          Thanks for your photo because I missed the mark on my motor.

chinewalker
          Participant

US Member

Don’t overthink it. Get it close – there’s generally enough slop, wear and marginal parts to the system that they’ll run just fine if you’re close.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.