Home Forum Ask A Member Learning to weld

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

Ok. I need to learn to weld. Not only would it be good for welding these shock absorbers in the lower units together in my omc motors, but would come in handy around the homestead fixing things or creating things like a mad scientist! I can braze and soft solder but it’s time to take it a step further. I have 110 and 240 in my garage. 240 is a 60 amp circuit. What is the best type of welder to get ? I don’t know one from the other. Thanks!

Mumbles
      Participant

If you already have a torch setup, that is all you need to fix the broken shocks as they braze up very nicely. The trick is to keep them straight while it’s being welded or brazed.

Welding is a trade and takes a four year apprenticeship to become a journeyman so only the basics can be discussed on a forum. As for a machine, there are traditional AC arc (stick) welders, AC-DC stick welders, MIG and flux core wire feed welders, and my favorite, AC-DC TIG welders which can do fine work in both steel and aluminum. The MIG can be set up with a spool gun to weld aluminum but it and the TIG welders both require a seperate gas bottle, usually filled with Argon or a mix of gases, depending on the material to be welded. The bottles are usually leased but can be purchased from some vendors. Purchasing is better financially in the long run.

A welder will say the expensive red or blue (Lincoln or Miller) machines are superior to any except for maybe a Hobart but they are now composed of Asian parts and only assembled in the US, not manufactured in the US anymore. For the average Joe, these machines are more for professional use in a production setting and unnecessary for the average home user. A used one in good condition may be the way to go or if going new, consider one of the Asian brands sold at the discount tool stores or online. Some of them are pure garbage but some of them can perform just as good as the red or blue ones and do it at a fraction of the cost. You have to do your homework to figure out what suits you best and go online to find any reviews of the machine you are looking at. Better yet, talk to someone who already welds at home and ask lots of questions.

oldemtr
        Participant

I think the most useful tool to have is an OA torch set – And not just a big cutting head, but a smaller-medium set, with a good assortment of tips.
          For steel up to 3/16″ or so, I usually just gas weld it – I can get a neater job.
          I do have both MIG and arc welders, but I use the torch more often than either.
          With the torch, you can weld, braze, cut, and heat parts for disassembly – It’s by far the most versatile tool.

You can also WELD (And I’m not referring to those brazing rods they sell) aluminum with OA, with the right flux, rod, and lens color,………..and practice –
          Before Heliarc and TIG, that’s the way they welded aircraft – Some people say it makes a better weld than the electric ones – Less porous, for fuel tanks, etc

Tinman
          Participant

US Member

I have a oxy/acetaline set up now as I do hvac work. Did not know I could possibly use that to weld up those old shock absorbers. Hmm something to consider.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

I would braze those shock absorbers. I bartered some work for a Lincoln arc welder some 50 years ago and probably haven’t used it half a dozen times. I did try to weld a shock absorber with it one time–which was a complete failure. But that probably was my fault.

drifter
              Participant

I’ve started doing 4 spot welds on the shock, even if they measure correct length. Been burned a couple of times with a “good” shock breaking.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.