Home Forum Ask A Member Lightfour/Handifour rebuild

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    lyks2tinkr
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have located a suitable donor crankshaft assembly from a 34 Lightfour Imperial for my 37 Elto Handifour.
      Was a sealer used on the outside of the rotary valve to the crankcase?
      I was told that the max wear in the rotary valve is .007
      Is that per side or am I correct in assuming that it’s total thickness?
      Is a pdf of a service manual available for these engines?
      Thanks for any help.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by lyks2tinkr.
      garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Since the rotary valve is anchored to the rear of the crankcase, that would be the maximum gap on the carburetor side.. On our racing model we got away from clearance problems by cutting a slot in the crankshaft for an expansion ring with the gap in the back. This involved wiring the ends of the snap rings together after being installed on the crank shaft and cutting the wire when the crank shaft opening was at the back of the crankcase. Less cleariance makes it difficult to install the crankshaft. Clearance that varies with rotation indicates a bent crankshaft. There is no service manuals for individual motors. The single service manual covered everything, dividing chapters by function. One for ignition, one for carburation, one for gear case, etc. You had to go through and pick out what pertained to your model. The specification chapter gave clearances, torque values, carburetor float levels, etc. Hopefully the manual is still listed in my Dropbox account found in our inner sanctum technical discussion page.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.