Home Forum Ask A Member Lockwood Ash Model 24

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dab879
    Participant

Picked up this L-A 4hp model 24, the other day. Looks to me to be complete. I’m not sure that the paint is original, but everything else looks
      kosher. Only problem is the engine is stuck. Everything else is loose, just stuck in the cylinder. Any advice on what to soak it with, or how to
      go about getting it loose? I was told a mix of diesel / ATF works good. I have worked with stuck engines before with good success, just don’t
      want to do anything dumb that might damage the cylinder or piston. Thanks for any help. The best thing about the engine was the spark plug.
      Its an early patent Elmore “sootless” automobile sparkplug. Pretty neat looking plug.

The Boat House
      Participant

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I second that Tubs….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

fifty20ne
          Participant

US Member

I would try using
            EVAPO-RUST

lyks2tinkr
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would try heat on the cylinder as suggested and a good pennatrating oil.
              As previously stated it may free itself up after awhile. Nice looking motor.

jimparrott
              Participant

US Member

Lockwood Ash used Brewster Green on most of their engines.

If your engine doesn’t loosen up by the previous mentioned methods try these options. If the rings are above the ports, fill the cylinder full with fluid of choice (diesel for me) then make a 1/2” pipe to grease fitting adaptor for the spark plug hole and use the grease gun to hopefully get the piston moving. If rings are below the ports, remove the cylinder mount bolts and disconnect the connecting rod thru the inspection cover on the left side of the engine. With the cylinder removed you will then be able to use a 4” OD pipe or slightly less to tap or press on the piston skirt to get it moving. DO NOT PUSH THE PISTON ALL THE WAY UP the rings will expand in the combustion chamber and the piston would require removal in pieces. Once it starts moving, in either direction, you should be able to work it out..

Nice looking engine but the timer looks like it’s from a Gray Marine Engine. The Lockwood Ash timers are nice and make reversing easy.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Jim

dab879
                Participant

Thanks alot for the help / suggestions. But will have to set this one aside for a little bit and finish up my current project. I’m gonna have to do something about that transome clamp.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.