Home Forum Ask A Member Merc KE-4 gas tank question

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    green-thumbs
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

At the risk of sounding very old school. you do not need a tap. You need a machinist with a
      lathe and a thread gage. The taps in the larger sizes are uncommon and the gas cap thread may be a nonstandard size. Making a thread restorer by cutting the correct thread on a piece round stock of the correct size is not Rocket Science difficult. Richard White ( plug ) makes OMC tools and may wish to expand his offerings into the Dark Side.
      Those of the current generation may find it hard to believe. but. once upon a time in America people fixed things and even improve them as a result.
      Louis.

huntleybill
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK…so what size tap do I need to chase the filler spout threads??

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK Louis, so does someone already make a tool to fix these threads?

20mercman
          Participant

US Member

I would love to have a tap of this size also. The small Mercury tank threads are the same thread as was used by OMC on their TD-TN motors. If fact, you can use the OMC cap if you want to. Carl would turn over in his grave, but the OMC cap was a real cap, not the cheap piece of junk plastic cap that Mercury used. The larger thread caps for Mercury came out when they went to a large fuel filter assembly that threaded into the bottom of the tank. That is why Dave Bernard wanted to see a photo of the bottom of the tank. I don’t have the sizes off the top of my head, but I think the small tank is 1 1/16" x 18, and the larger one is 1 3/16" x 16. These taps can be purchased for the $50 range, but that is a lot of money just to save a tank.

Steve

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

the large tank is correct I have one. got it on amazon. for basically Free. applied for a card and got $50.00 credit on it.

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Steve. If you can confirm that size, I would appreciate it. As a restorer, I would spend $50 for the tap because I could use it on several tanks. Besides, "He who dies with the most tools WINS"! 🙂

green-thumbs
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Page 28 item 107 Part # 5070 Tap, fuel tank filler hole 1 1/8" x 18 N.S price net $15.48
                  Page 28 item 108 Part # 5071 Tap, fuel tank filler hole 1 3/16" x 16 N.S. price net $18.26
                  NOTE page 28 illustration says 1 3/16" while price list says 1 1/16
                  Another reason to have a machinist at least verify the thread size
                  Prices are 1940s REAL dollars…minimum wage was about 75 cents to a dollar and hour.
                  Louis

Water pump cover is 2 1/8" x 16 Left Hand thread.

JordanSewruk
                  Participant

Does anyone know where I could purchase a gas cap (has hex nut for the fuel filter on the bottom) for my ke4? Thanks in advance.

green-thumbs
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

KE4 & Mark 7 outboards sold well and are fairly common at swap meets. A parts motor might with a good tank is likely to be a better investment than a special purpse tap AND the time and effort to remove dents.

Tap for tank with the small filter is 1-1/8″x 18 National Standard Mercury  Part # M-60-5070  Bottom filter tap size is 1/8″ National Pipe Taper.

Tap for tank with large hexagonal filter is 1-3/16″x 16 National Standard for BOTH filter and filler neck. Mercury Part # M-60-5071

National Standard is an obsolete name for Unified National Standard. Each trade and industry as it developed attempted to create a standard for fasteners. As a result we have to identify threads and fasteners. Metric has been adopted for things made in last 50 years…just another addition to the complex brew of threads and fasteners.

Louis

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.