Home Forum Ask A Member merc mark 5 super 5 gear box stumped

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ddoyle
    Participant

Howdy, came home with a well siezed mark 5 super 5. Been dismantling against a future project but am stumped at the lower end. Have all the fasteners out from the transom clamp down and the lower unit was persuaded to drop an eighth or so but no further. Is there a trick to getting these off. I suspect but am not sure that this has neutral. It has been well worked over in the past including gear box welds.

Any insight would be appreciated.

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Look at the tank handle, if the front has a button, you have the neutral model, and yeah goody goody they are fun…. ok that was meant as sarchasm 😉

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

ddoyle
        Participant

As it goes the recoil assembly and handle are long gone. There is a piece of tube at the bottom of the engine that I think was the wire guide tube. There is currently no wire in evidence. I admit I did try the rubber mallet but something tells me there is something holding it all together.

Over all the engine is in hard, hard shape. It has convince me however that at some point I need one up and running and kind of want to see what parts I have.

More hammer?

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Should be 2 nuts holding lower on, if no cable it "should" drop…Those cases are weak at best, so if "hammerin" be cautious…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

ddoyle
            Participant

Thanks richard, The first taps did scare me. Probabley best to turn attention to the next victim and let this one settle abit. There is an innocent Elgin down there to distract the hammer.

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

call me 1 914 310 7086. Dave.

archangel
                Participant

I actually have a Mark 5 with neutral and a stuck lower I’ve just started and I am not clear on how to drop the lower on that, either. Any words of wisdom from the many members who are much smarter and more experienced than me who have Mercs?

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

loosen the shift cable near the port covers on the power head.

archangel
                    Participant

Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.