Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury 9.9 tiller handle ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bunky
    Participant

I have I’m guessing a 1960’s Mercury 9.9 and the bracket where the tiller handle pivots is broke. I have the new part.

My question is do I have to pull the power head to change this ?

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If it’s a sixties engine, you mean a 9.8, right? If you figure out how to do it without pulling the power head, let me know! I have tried that route a few times in my life but couldn’t do it. The temptation is to pry on things to get enough clearance; but I have never been able to make it work. It risks breaking MORE parts and is just unnecessarily frustrating. I feel the easiest, proper way is to pull the power head and the lower pan. Then, that broken part is wide open. You’ll need two gaskets to reassemble. It really is very easy to do in principle, if yours is a 100% fresh water motor. The hardest part is cleaning off those old, super-tough gaskets.

Long live American manufacturing!

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

I changed one on a first or 2nd year (1986) 9.9 Mercury. I didn’t have to pull the power-head,the tiller comes off with removal of a big nut or two. This tiller uses cables and has the gearshift integrated into it. The tiller was discontinued some years later in favor of a more robust design, but I got lucky and found someone selling a used one on E-Bay.

Like has already been said, older models were 9.8’s – totally different motors.
          DAve

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by outbdnut2.
          bunky
          Participant

Yes you are correct it’s a 9.8 I figured that pulling the power head was the best way just thought I would see if someone had a easier way. Thanks

bunky
            Participant

Ok so my engine is a 1966 110 (9.8) i have the power unit loose but I’m not sure if I have to pull the pin on the gear of the throttle for the rod to pull out of the handle or if it’s just pops into the gear and of course I can’t find my manual.

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There were a lot of tiny changes to the throttle mechanism over the years. I don’t know for sure, how yours is. I will tell you that with many of them of that general era, all you have to do is pull the shaft with the “paddle” flex joint out of the part of your motor that is already broken; and then often, the whole under-the-cover mechanism will just lift out with the power head and lower cowl…..

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by billw.
                bunky
                Participant

Ok so I have the power head off and new handle installed but as cleaning up for reassembly I notice the rubber isolators on the housing are bad. Do I have to disassemble the shift lever and choke shaft to get these out to change them?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.