Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury KE4 Assembly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    goldmember
    Participant

Finally putting the finished product together and I want to double check the power head mounting.
      My outboard had a metal shim under one end and under the gasket on top of the lower unit. I assume I need to put that back.
      Also I have a round gasket with a flat end that is for the copper water tube. Does that go under (on top of the metal shim) or over the main gasket ?

green-thumbs
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is a Mercury thing, apparently Mercury decided the rectangular metal plate served no
        purpose so they left it out. My Mercury Illustrated Parts Catalog does not show the plate
        nor is it mentioned in parts list for combined KE4/Mark7
        Probably a hold over from KD series used on some KE4 but not on Mark 7
        I have several of the rectangular plates in parts drawer…
        For what it is worth I believe plate (when used) goes on top of gasket as otherwise the
        holes are not effectively sealed
        One thing is certain, the plates are not used on singles…lol
        Louis

Did you find a copper stamping as part of the old gasket? I believe the metal plate
        and the coppper gasket are used together. Mercury seemed to be continualy
        looking at product for ways to reduce costs. Just my opinion and i have been in error
        at times.

goldmember
        Participant

The old gasket had the plate under the gasket up against the lower unit. No copper stamping on my 1947.

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mr Grubb or Mr. Thurwachter may know for sure. As for me, I would leave plate out entirely
            if the copper stamping is not used. I use Permatex # 2 gasket sealer with the two gaskets
            laying down the large gasket first then positioning the smaller water tube gasket before joining powerhead to driveshat/exhaust housing.
            That may seem to be leaving out items , but, that is how the Mercury Parts Manual for KE4/Mark7 illustration shows it. No * indicating a change, so it seems fair to assume
            it will work.

The copper stamping bonded to gasket and the cover plate were used ,but, from what
            parts manual shows they were later made without either of them. The water jackets
            show no change. Very early production KE4 use KD4 cylinders, pistons and rods
            with the 4 leaf reed block and later crankshaft. Using up old stock parts is another
            Mercury thing.

Louis

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mr Grubb or Mr. Thurwachter may know for sure. As for me, I would leave plate out entirely
              if the copper stamping is not used. I use Permatex # 2 gasket sealer with the two gaskets
              laying down the large gasket first then positioning the smaller water tube gasket before joining powerhead to driveshat/exhaust housing.
              That may seem to be leaving out items , but, that is how the Mercury Parts Manual for KE4/Mark7 illustration shows it. No * indicating a change, so it seems fair to assume
              it will work.

The copper stamping bonded to gasket and the cover plate were used ,but, from what
              parts manual shows they were later made without either of them. The water jackets
              show no change. Very early production KE4 use KD4 cylinders, pistons and rods
              with the 4 leaf reed block and later crankshaft. Using up old stock parts is another
              Mercury thing.
              Some lower cylinders are not machined on face that contact driveshaft/exhaust housing
              so that may be how the cover plate fits in. Mercury is also known for listing later
              parts and not mentioning earlier patterns that were No Longer Available.

Louis

goldmember
              Participant

Wow. Interesting. Thank You

green-thumbs
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A little further checking. Revise prewar parts list shows a cover M-40-100 as part of drive shaft housing assembly for twins kB4 and kB5. I also went thru old cylinders to find a lower cylinder that did not have the machined flat lower side. I fitted the cover plate over the bosses and fitted a water jacket. Lower edge of water jacked matched level of bottom side of cover.
                  My conclusion is the cover you found on your KE4 was added during a prior service and
                  it does not belong to a KE4 or Mark 7 with the smooth machined lower surface of
                  lower cylinder. The cover in my opinion belongs to a twin that used the rough cast
                  lower cylinder which would benefit from a flat surface to press gasket to seal the exhaust
                  holes in drive shaft housing used for a single .
                  Up to KD4 Mercury used same basic drive shat housing for both singles and twins. All had the opening for single cylinder exhaust which were banked off when used as a twin
                  drive shaft housing. The side opeing were machined for exhaust when used with twin
                  powerhead. For what it is worth I have a KE3 singlele mounted on a drive shat housing
                  that was machined for a twin. A cover is bolted over exhaust ports. I acquired it that
                  way and I do not know if factory or clever native craftsman.

The need and purpose of the copper stamping is now clear…with the cover plate over
                  the exhaust holes the power head was raised and not contacting gasket to seal area where drive end of power head enters the drive shaft housing.

At least that is the way it seems to me.
                  Parts Manual shows some of first run of KE4 used old design cylinders which may mean
                  some early KE4 would have a cover plate and copper stamping. I am not sure how rare
                  or common those are. Serial # range 214324- 258226

Louis more than you want to know I know and probably not what you need to know.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

But interesting (and educational) none the less –

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.