Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury KH-7

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    treeguy
    Participant

US Member

Last weekend I acquired two Mercury KH-7’s not too far from my home in northern Minnesota. I haven’t worked on too many Mercurys and would appreciate some help. First off, does anyone know of a good site to find a service manual?

Second question: I haven’t posted any photos on here since the photobucket debacle. The photo on here was placed using dropbox. No matter what photo orientation I save and upload to dropbox and then link to this forum, the orientation always comes out sideways. Does anyone have a better suggestion on how to place photos on this forum?

jw-in-dixie
      Participant

There may be a Mercury manual you can access online. I used to go to the library and copy whatever pages I needed from their Tech section. Some manuals are better than others. I sold my Merc manual a few years ago, along with the notes and diagrams added thereto.

david-bartlett
        Participant

Treeguy,

Regarding the photo, the picture has to be wider than it is tall to orient properly. You can crop a photo, or just take it so it is wider initially. The longer edge of the pic must be top and bottom, not on the sides.

Hope this helps.

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

KH7 is a Green Tanker that shares (many not all)parts with with Mark 15 and Mark 20
            I believe you will find the Illustrated Parts Manual keyed to part name and part number
            more than a little helpful. You may be able find a downloadable manual at WNY chapter site.

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

They are a GREAT motor made one year only.

treeguy
              Participant

US Member

Thank you for the replies. I think I finally figured out how to post photos properly using Dropbox; thank you David Bartlett.

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Treeguy, I emailed you a manual for a KG-7 Mercury.
                  Not sure what changes were in the KH-7.
                  Have fun!

Prepare to be boarded!

20mercman
                  Participant

US Member

The KH-7 was as Dave B said, a one year motor. It was really a transition motor from the Kg-7 to the Mk-20. The power head is very much the same as the KG-7, including the same AJ-32A carburetor. This was the first year for full gear shift, so it was very popular. They initially were built with too small water pumps, which led Mercury to recall them and install a larger pump. The modification also was to add more holes in the water inlet of the lower unit. A lot of service techs turned these into pin cushions as they drilled too many holes and weakened them. A lot of the lower units cracked around the bearing carrier nut. They also used a S11K forward bearing and different forward gear then the later Mk-20 and Mk-25 motors. Like Dave said, these are great motors, and the pinnacle of the green tank Mercury motors. I have two of them.

Here is my first one at the show at Tomahawk, the second one has not been restored yet.

Steve

seakaye12
                    Participant

US Member
                      quote 20mercman:

I have two of them.Here is my first one at the show at Tomahawk, the second one has not been restored yet.

Steve

Steve…..you polish things to a level that is truly astonishing. Could you perhaps outline the various steps involved in making the mid-section look like that? What sorts of sanding? What sorts of equipment? I imagine that it must involve many steps of finer and yet finer sanding….followed by many more steps of polishing? Can you give a brief summary?

Thanks,,,,Chuck in Santa Barbara

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.