Home Forum Ask A Member New Antique Outboard Owner

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Screen-Shot-2020-01-12-at-2.36.04-PM
      I had one of these Water Skippers that dad brought home from the New York Boat Show. It would plane well with a five horse but would run like a scalded dog with a seven and a half. I can give you the plans if you want to build one. The Marten would be a lot of fun on it. – As for a tilt lock – these were available in the 1950s. Not hard to make if you’re a blacksmith. . .

Dan Cordon
      Participant

Thanks for the tips about the Martin knobs! Mine still has a good bottom trim panel, so that’s a good sign. Being able to turn the unit around and put the prop inboard could be a great alternative for keeping the outboard on while rafting. But something like the broomstick option was what I originally had in mind. Simple, effective.

Those waterskippers look like a riot! H looked up a few more pictures (some from AOMCI events). The Scott does have mounts for remote throttle and steering, so that could be an interesting option. Also, what about something like a 12′ runabout? I’m guessing a 7.5 hp would be on the small side for those.

More news about the Wizard….I started disassembly yesterday. The lower gearcase has cracked. It is just forward of the prop (where the brass gear housing cover screws on). The threaded portion of the housing where the the brass gear housing covers screws on had cracked all the way around. I could look for a used usable gear housing (one on ebay, but would be about $150 with shipping). Or I could see about machining the housing down, and making a new (slightly thicker) brass housing cover. The casting still has threads left, so I might explore that option if the rest of the lower gearcase looks okay.
        -Dan

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.