Home Forum Ask A Member New guy with question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member

I some how have acquired the desire to restore antique outboards lol I’m new to boat engines but mechanically inclined. I have a 1955 10 hp Johnson that I bought. PO knows nothing about the history. It looks all original, extremely clean. When I took the cowl off their are white powdery splotches underside of cowl and all over the engine. Eloctrolosis with the aluminum I’m guessing. First where are the anode (s) located on this engine. Second, if I want to have a showroom looking boat, do I completely disassemble everything? Take motor off lower unit? To properly clean and paint everything this looks like the only option. Next , with all these calcium splotches on the outside, how do I know that thisnt happening on the inside? Does it seem logical to disassemble the engine and check all parts? Havnt checked the compression but pulling the pull rope gently, seems to have great compression. Any help- advice would be greatly appreciated

It's a jungle out there.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Sounds like you have some aluminum oxidation going on. Probably not much of
        a concern unless critical parts are deeply pitted. Assuming the internals
        of the engine didn’t get water inside, all my be well there. A compression gauge
        will tell you better what’s going on, if you have stuck rings, or worse.
        Important that the two cylinders have near the same compression, within 10%.
        If this is your first attempt on fixing up an old outboard, I would just go thru the
        basics first, fuel system, ignition, gear box, water pump, etc.
        Someone on the board will have a digital parts manual if you need one, and
        perhaps a repair manual as well.
        Have fun!

Prepare to be boarded!

tinkerman
        Participant

US Member

Thanks for the speedy reply! I like the looks of the forum and will join shortly. When I start a new hobby, I go big or go home . It started with an 88 evinrude jr that I put on my kayak. It blew up (scored piston and cylinder) 2nd time out. After looking on Craigslist for a replacement I kept seeing the antiques and here I am lol

It's a jungle out there.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Aluminum starts to form a surface oxide seconds after it is made. That suface oxide is what helps it keep from further corrosion. You say it looks extremely clean, so I don’t think it really is an electrolysis problem. There is no anode. Those were not in use way back when.

Personally, I think for experience, you should concentrate on making it a perfect running motor for now. If you desire a new-looking motor, that can come later, as step-two. Us old-timers around here appreciate a nice original motor just as much as a restored one. Others over-restore them. Takes all kinds of nuts to hold the world together.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by frankr.
            tinkerman
            Participant

US Member

I’m USUALLY the overdo guy. I’ve got an old 64 cub cadet mower that I restored and it looks new. BUT with that said, I was looking at the Johnson and thought hmmm all those pictures online looked really cool of the showroom antique motors but this ones in good original condition for a 64 yr old motor. So I guess maybe I’m turning into one of those “older guys” myself

It's a jungle out there.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you should get some reading material to help along your new hobby.

Cheap outboards

https://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Outboards-Beginners-Making-Forever/dp/1891369628

the Johnson “bible” also good for Evinrude’s

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/0

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You have picked a great engine to work with for sure. I doubt the oxidation on the outside has affected the internal parts, but anything is possible. Is this a salt or fresh water engine? Salt water engines are much more of a challenge to work with/on, fasteners are usually corroded/stuck, and the aluminum gets compromised from oxidation/corrosion.
                  I would avoid the urge to cosmetically restore this engine until you have gone through it mechanically to make sure it will run well. Start with the simple things, drain the gear lube (do not remove that phillips head screw down on the skeg or the shift linkage with fall out of place), remove the upper and lower slotted fill/drain screws. The old lube may appear dark/black, that is OK, but there should be no signs of water. “Milky” colored gear lube or raw water spells trouble meaning the gearcase will need to be pressure tested to isolate the cause of the leak prior to tearing it down for inspection and reseal. In any event, the gearcase should come off to do a water pump servicing regardless of gear lube condition.
                  Check the compression. Believe it or not, these engines don’t have a very high compression ratio, you will only see about 80-90PSI, readings should be even on both cylinders though. You will need to rework the ignition and fuel systems in order for this to be a reliable daily runner. You can do a quick inspection of the ignition by removing the inspection cover off the top of the flywheel and peeking inside. If the coils are cracked, they will need to be replaced. But, in the big picture, this may be a good thing, indicating the engine doesn’t have that many hours on it.
                  These engines are relatively easy to work on, but just like most things, “it is all in the details”. So, I would start by finding the correct parts break down and a decent manual. I just happen to have a parts break down for the 1955 Johnson 10hp QD16, and can email it to you. But, first check the transom bracket ID plate to ensure your engine is a 1955 model QD-16.

lindy46
                  Participant

US Member

Was there a mouse nest in there? Mouse urine can cause the type of corrosion you describe.

kerry
                    Participant

US Member

I’ll second the purchase of “Cheap Outboards”. Gives a bunch of detail and advice not found in repair manuals when dealing with any 2 cylinder magneto Johnson or Evinrude. May help with decisions on future purchases, too.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Those mouses can trash a motor, that’s for sure.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.