Home Forum Ask A Member No go in drive.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My only caution against doing the doing the conventional "pull the wire off the plug" drop cylinder test to check spark on this motor is this. The weak point of these engines is the ignition system. This electronic ignition has a reputation of being quite prone to failure as compared to most others on the market. It is also NLA and used replacements are not that plentiful. Due to the reputation for fragility, I would be apprehensive about pulling a plug wire wire this engine is running for fear of damaging the ignition with It running and not having the plug wire grounded. A neon tester or a timing light will tell you the same thing without the need to run with one lead not grounded. A spark test should be performed with the engine running though. This will give some important information toward diagnosing the running problems.
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

What I’ve done in the past so as to not cause damage to the coil
        by pulling the plug wire while the motor is running, is to just
        "ground out" one plug at a time.
        You can use a spring a couple inches long, and sized
        to fit over the end of the spark plug and inside the plug boot,
        it so equipped. A long screw driver, or a test lead with an alligator
        clip can then be used to ground out the plug.

Prepare to be boarded!

john8504
        Participant

I was reading to keep the vent closed on the tank. Is that not true? This is my first motor I’ve owned that didn’t have a gravity fed, built in tank.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

The vent is closed in storage to keep out moisture and keep the light ends of the fuel mix (which promote easy starting) from evaporating, and closed during transportation to keep from spilling fuel. When the motor is running however, the vent must be open so air can get in to make up for the space left by the fuel that you use. If the pressure in the tank tries to go below atmospheric, no fuel can flow. – – – 😉

Garry in Tampa

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.