Home Forum Ask A Member Old Mercury Identification

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mark weaver
    Participant

Do they come out the same way Bill? I notice that the impeller cartridge is in the other way around from my M-10. I just dropped the transmission on the mark 10, removed the retainer ring then turned it over with the powerhead off and used an old drive shaft to tap out the impeller cartridge and ball bearings and all. It damaged the housing cover  or impeller cover but have new ones. Can I remove the impeller in a similar fashion on the 100 or does it come out another way?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

the cartridge need not come out.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The cartridge opening faces down, so you don’t technically need to remove it, to change the impeller. However, if any of the blades on the old impeller are broken and missing, odds are they are jammed into the cartridge outlet. It’s tough to get the broken pieces out without removing the cartridge. At least I, personally, have found it hard to impossible. If you take the power head off a Merc series automatic (which is dirt-simple) you can drive the cartridge down with a socket and extension, with no damage to parts.

Long live American manufacturing!

mark weaver
          Participant

Ok. I will tape this one out with a small socket then. There is a rubber gasket in the parts manual, or a little rubber washer the diagram shows that goes below the o-ring on the drive shaft somewhere?? My Mark 10 did not have it in there so someone was in there and and never replaced it apparently. It is called slinger gasket or something like that. I ordered one…does that just go on the driveshaft to seal the water pump cartridge do you know or seal around the driveshaft where it comes through the housing above the cartridge? I can’t think of anything else it would do.

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

Yes, keeps dirt off the seal.

mark weaver
              Participant

Ok Dave thank you. I will tackle that one soon. I looked at a 9.8 powerhead online and it does match mine. The old thing has 114 and 115 compression bone dry so I think I will get it pumping water and see she how it does on the lake. It starts and seems to idle good for the few seconds I ran it.

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It actually “slings” dirt away, before it can work down into the seal, thus the name, “slinger.” Most every Mercury I can think of had them, up into the 1980s. They are not unique to automatics. Whether you have a Merc or Mark series automatic, the only possible way to install one is to have the power head off, and slide it down the installed drive shaft. A lot of people try to skip out on the power head removal.

Long live American manufacturing!

daytonajohn
                  Participant

US Member

Those two nuts with the springs are to adjust the friction of the synchronizer when you twist the grip. They don’t do much.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.