Home Forum Ask A Member OMC 3hp Pinion Gear

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi guys, How do you get the pinion gear out of the gear case on a 1952 Evinrude 3hp outboard?

dale

IMG_1223

frankr
      Participant

US Member

To jar it loose, with the drive shaft removed, give the gearcase open end a whack on the workbench top.

Mumbles
        Participant

The thrust bearing has to come out before the pinion gear will.  It’s that flat thing in there with the circle on it. Like FR says, give the gearcase a sharp rap to try and jar it loose. I have used long needle nose pliers to remove it but it’s made of breaklite or something and is rather fragile.

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well I rapped the snot out of it and it would not budge.  Since the housing is junk, the PO cut the tail off trying to make it a racer,  I slipped a punch in through the gear oil hole and got that black plastic thingy loose.  Another rap on the bench and it fell out.   I just wanted to save the gears for another go-around some day.

thanks guys dale

LeeRoy Wisner
            Participant

US Member

What I do is tap the center hole with 1/4″ X 20 and then make a Ell shaped tool out of 1/4″ all thread.   this has to be at last 6 1/2″ to the handle (Ell) to clear.   Thread in into the tapped hole all the way & when it bottoms out in the front, it will push the thrust bearing out,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.