Home Forum Ask A Member P.O. tightened jet too much?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

Low speed jet on my Fastwin. Looks to me as if someone over tightened the jet, or screwed it all the way in, then tightened the packing nut.

Any tips on repair? I was thinking of using fine sandpaper and trying to smooth out the ridge. Is there a better method?

theodore
      Participant

Although it’s damaged, it might still be adjustable to give an acceptable idle. If not, either-

A) Replace with another

B) Pay a machinist 40 or 60 bucks to repair it

C) Look for a Brass Pencil Sharpener.

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member

You can find needles on EBay or address as you mention, but it is the seat you will have to worry about!

Dan in TN

marvk
          Participant

I had one that was somewhat damaged. It was slightly bent. I chucked it in a hand drill, secured it to my workbench, and VERY CAREFULLY, used a dressing stone to work it back in straight. Seemed to work fine for me. It was on my Lightwin. It idles down to a crawl. 😉

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

I also use a drill and hold 320 grit wet dry sand paper in can use oil with it and finish it with 600 gritmy fingers and spin the needle and squeeze the paper to remove the defects.

wiscoboater
              Participant

If you check marinengins.com A lot of those needles are still available new for not a lot of money. I bought one that was damaged for my 59 fastwin a few weeks ago. Like t2stroke said, is the seat mucked up as well?

wiscoboater
                Participant

What year and HP is your motor? I have some spares if you need one.

mr-asa
                  Participant

From what I can tell, the seat is good. Didn’t see any damage

Mumbles
                    Participant

That’s an easy fix Mr. Asa. Spin it in a lathe or drill press and use a fine whetstone or a piece of wet n dry paper on a flat surface to remove the groove. I finish them with 1500 and a bit of polish so they shine like a mirror! Lately I’ve been using several different grits of diamond stone to dress them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.