Home Forum Ask A Member Phelon coils Mercury

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Ok, here is what I did and had no issues. It was not a Mercury but I , with little knowledge cant think of a difference.
      I will post pictures and describe what I did below the picture or hopefully that way..

First picture is of the Neptune Mastertwin Eiseman coil lamination’s, it basically had two coils separately wound on it. I unwould both of them and cleaned up the lams as best I could… Please note, I drilled a hole in the center of the un-altered lamination pack, so that after it was all said and done I would have the pin location to tie it all together but more importantly it would keep the spacing of the ends of the laminations correct.. Also at this time I machined the lamination down do a size that would later fit into the OMC coils, easier to do it now vs. trying to do each lam individually

I then separated them numbering them, and cutting them, staggering each lam so the the cut would be alternating and be hidden in each of the OMC coils, this minimized the number of cuts within each coil core opening.:

I then made my stupid threaded pins that are too long and I am just lazy and did not make shorter ones… but they work:

Here is one coil installed on the laminations. This was a bad coil, I actuall used 2 bad coils to mock this up that way I did not chance making a good coil bad.

and here is the second as well as it assembled:

Now lastly here it is on the mag plate which had to be modified to route the plug wires. And remember, after the mock up worked I replaced the bad coils with new ones:

This project took me a while as I am not electrically inclined but it works. Now to the problem at hand, not sure why he has bad spark, but maybe specific details on HOW he did his will probably bear light on why he has no spark…

Hope this posts ok, and really hope it helps.

Regards

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

The Boat House
      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
        mercuryman
        Participant

Now I have great spark. I didn’t bother to grind away some space for the spark wire. When laminate screws were tight it bent the center core up a little about .025 inch. After grinding some space for wire laminate is tight on the plate boss. I also installed a new .18 uf cap and the spark will jump .125 inch gap.

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

good job…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

legendre
            Participant

@Richard

Nice work, that’s a mighty crafty fix you did.

@mercman

Good catch, glad to hear you found your error!

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jason,
                None taken! I enjoy the magnetos & usually have no issues once I have gone thru them. I’m not in competion with anyone here!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.