Home Forum Ask A Member photo of boat-side connector for OMC 18/20/25 electric start?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    phil-b
    Participant

I’m trying to figure out how to make a harness for my 1959 electric start Evinrude Fastwin.

Can anyone point me to (or post!) a photo of the ORIGINAL boat side connector for an OMC 18/20/25 HP electric start?

I’d been working on the assumption that it’s similar in shape to the englne side (which tapers), but I just realized I could be wrong!

The 1959 has 5 wires (ground, start, choke, and 2 magneto), I seem to recall some newer versions had another pin(?), and that older versions didn’t have the choke pin….. But I’m ASSuming (again) they all had the same shape on the outside!!!

Thanks in advance
      Phil
      (Yankee Chapter)

wiscoboater
      Participant
        phil-b
        Participant
          quote wannabe outboard guy:

That’s a modern reproduction….. I was wondering if they copied an original, or made it up.

Everytime I think "Why don’t I just give in and purchase the North York harness?"
          I look at the price, and then I’m back to thinking about how to make my own!!!

I realized the later harness extra pin goes to the start solenoid (moved under the hood)

wiscoboater
          Participant

I made my own when I saw the price of that one. Mine has no connector. It’s wired directly under the hood. That’s where I mounted the solenoid as well. It was not hard to wire it for a push button start, choke and kill buttons.

beast
            Participant

If someone can lend me a connector, I can measure and model in 3D then get some 3D printed

I am looking for a harness for a 1959 Fastwin 18 & don’t think I want to pay the price from NYMarine. I would rather make my own

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

If you post a "Wanted" ad on the classified board here, someone will likely have an original plug with harness at a reasonable price. It may also have the key ignition switch and a key with it along with the solenoid box. Give it a try – ads are free.

I’d be wary of a 3D-printed connector – there is a lot of vibration and flexing there and 3D print material may not hold up. Also – making and fitting contacts into a 3-D printed connector will likely be a real challenge.

If you live anywhere near Minneapolis area, you can drive over and look at the connector and harness on my boats.
                Dave

phil-b
                Participant

I’m the one who started this thread. Here’s what I came up with:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9182

I had the male (engine side). For the female (boat side) I used soft copper (refrigeration) tubing for the contacts, and encased it in black epoxy putty used for swimming pool repair. I tried using the male side to make a mold, but ended up shaping it mostly by hand.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.