Home Forum Ask A Member Power tilt kit info 1972 OMC 3 cylinder

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

I have parts pretty much matching those shown here: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1972&model=Electrical+1972&section=Power+Tilt+Kit+65+Hp+Models&yid=34239&mid=34240&sid=35522

These are not covered in the main motor manual. Can anyone point me to paperwork for these? And/or fill me in on what fluid is supposed to be in them and where the fill and drain fittings are located?

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by amuller.
      fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, that accessory won’t be discussed in the OEM service manual, even though the kit IS OEM….I don’t think OMC published any sort of service literature for this kit either, could be wrong but don’t think so…
        Use the OMC power trim/tilt fluid or dexronII transmission fluid. Fill it in the fully tilted up position….

amuller
        Participant

Thanks. This is helpful.

The wiring looks simple enough, but no fuse or circuit breaker is shown. Some of the other tilt/trim kits show a 30 Amp fuse. Does this sound right?

Apparently these simple tilts were used on short shaft 3 cylinder motors up to 1988.

Now the interesting part: This stuff has been installed on an 85 hp 4 cylinder (not by me). The lifting lever seems to fit. But this is maybe more weight than the setup was designed to lift? What do people think?

am

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by amuller.
          frankr
          Participant

US Member

As far as I know, the V-4 power tilt kits incorporated a hydraulic cylinder that replaced one of the shock absorbers.

amuller
            Participant

Correct. But the motors have pretty similar legs and the previous owner was able to attach the lift arm to the V4 with some bodging. He says it worked but I’m wondering.

According to the service manuals the 65 hp 3 cylinder weight 212 pounds and the 85 hp V4 weighs 252 pounds. so that’s an increase of 40 pounds or about 20 percent. Not sure what that would translate to in force on the lift cylinder….

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Well hey, if it works…..?? The tilt cylinder can only exert a certain maximum force. As demonstrated if you apply power when tilted. It just opens some kind of relief valve and mashes down.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

And yes, many of those early tilt wiring harnesses were simple, used no solenoid or fuse….

amuller
                  Participant

No problem to add an inline fuse, but the design seems to violate good electrical practice.

I do like the simplicity. Have a mercury tilt (/trim?) on the bench that’s quite a rats nest of hoses and wires.

amuller
                    Participant

OK so I ran it on the bench and it works. There is a fill plug about midpoint on the housing. What position should it be in to get the correct fill? Fleetwin said “Fill it in the fully tilted up position….” Never having seen one of these mounted I’m not sure what that corresponds to.

Also, the parts breakdown shows a manual letdown valve. There is a slot in the center piece. Does that get turned with a screwdriver or is there more to know?

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by amuller.
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.