Home Forum Ask A Member Pre-war Mercury/Wizard gear cases

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    green-thumbs
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The rest of the story…

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Louis, a little note about those leather seals. If a need arises for a wider seal an old belt works pretty good. For some strange reason my belts seam to be shrinking around here. I have plenty of material for a thicker seal!

dale

“get’em wet don’t let’em set”

green-thumbs
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not to hog the thread or to drift too far off topic.
          3 slit type water pump housing uses a standard seal part number
          The two oscillator type water pumps use a packing material.
          Plumbing valve stem packing is ideal…if you can get by the
          ingredient in title. For those that want originality, I am pretty sure
          factory installed this type material.
          Louis

Twin cylinder gear case requires 2 thin steel shims ahead of prop
          shaft gear. These are often left out or rusted. McMaster Carr and
          others will have 0.010″ thick for loose fit on 0.500″ shaft.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by green-thumbs.
          green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Twin cylinder gear case also requires a steel shim and bronze spacer
            Take note of order steel shim is between bronze spacer and bronze bushing and the bronze spacer is atop the pinion gear. The easy
            way to get it all together is to have gear case in hand so it can be
            turned upside down, insert drive shaft just far enough to hold shim
            and spacer, then drop pinion gear in, Then hold gear case open end
            down while manipulating drive shaft and gear with fingers until
            things line up and drive shaft slips into place,
            There are other ways to do it, but, take it from a lazy man, the other
            ways are less fun.

edit
            Only the 14/19 gear sets require these shims ans spacer. Some pinion
            gears have a tall hub, shim and spacer not required. However, the
            shims on prop shaft are still needed.

Gear case for a single cylinder model have a 12/22 gear set and do
            not require shims or spacer.

green-thumbs
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I used scrap leather that was on hand. I found that when soaked with
              Neetsfoot oil, the leather relaxed an formed into a torus shape easily
              when installed. Thicker leather might also work. Only advice I can offer
              regarding a tight belt is Diet and Exercise…aka Starve ans Sweat.
              A torus is like Bunt cake pan,
              A few comments back, the question of a spring being needed with the
              16 square hole water pump…I now believe the question relates to the
              use of a spring circling the cam over the pin.
              That depends…if the original unaltered cam is used the answer is NO

However, that is not the whole story…the 7 slit type oscillator AND the
              Impeller Drive Hub of 3 slit each have a groove around cam or drive hub over the holes for pin in each. When set up for use with the rubber
              clutch a long pin is passed thru the Impeller Drive Hub or the
              7slit oscillator cam…in this case serving as both drive pin and sheer
              pin. IF clutch is not used then a short pin is installed in Impeller Drive
              Hub or 7 slit oscillator cam, this pin is short enough so as not to
              protrude into groove and the circular spring is snapped into the groove
              securing pin in place. Propeller is driven by sheer pin installed in the
              other hole in prop shaft.

Since the 16 square hole oscillator cam design locates the pin holes
              differently the circular spring would not work even if the cam had
              a groove machined.

Now the kicker, since the holes in all prop shafts for Early K Models,
              installing 7 slit impeller in 16 slit water pump is doable, the circular
              spring would be needed. I suspect the clutch might also be retrofitted
              excluding need for short pin and spring. I have not done a fit or try
              so this may or may not be so. I do have a water pump with the
              cam swap and I am looking for a circular spring of right size. The clutch can NOT be used with the original unaltered oscillator cam
              due to the way pin and cam interact.

It is an interesting fact that one prop shaft part # served all three
              water pump with or without the clutch. A lot of forethought went into
              a seemingly simple item.
              I believe all the above opinion is in agreement with the facts.
              Louis

green-thumbs
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not that I wish to do anything inappropriate on this site, but, I find myself
                short a couple of the plain Mercury stamped aluminum rope starter plates. I have cylinders, water jackets, and similar parts to swap
                Louis

green-thumbs
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

One who knows, advised me that the grease seal cup, although very often missing, was originally installed in both versions of the oscillator
                  water pump. I have 9 prewar Kiekhaefer outboard motors…one still has
                  the grease seal cup.
                  For some reason grease seal cup was very unpopular.
                  Louis

green-thumbs
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

According to NEW PARTS LIST for MERCURY MODELS manufactured
                    1939 – 1953 The use of Shim, Prop Shaft Gear Part #15 – 24679 is optional, when required only one is needed and it not used on pre war
                    twins or KB4-1 or KB5, (steel shim 0.010″)
                    The bronze spacer and steel shim are used on ALL twin cylinder drive
                    shafts.
                    Apparently KD4-1 and later KD twins may or may not need ONE shim
                    to obtain proper gear lash for smooth operation.
                    It may possibly be that prior twins could benefit ,but, parts manual does
                    not show shim as part of the KB5 or KB4-1 or prewar twins.
                    Louis
                    Note: the New Parts List was issued by Mercury when it adopted a systematic part numbering scheme in the early 1950s. The 2 prior
                    part numbering systems were converted to the new system. The New
                    Parts List, if carefully read, is a source of insight to figure out what is
                    missing and what is correct for a given model and year. I have found
                    that there is always more to learn.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.