Home Forum Ask A Member prop shaft seals for 5.5 hp double or single lip ?? at 0.5000 ID

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

can the somewhat costly seals be replaced with industrial oil seals …of the shelf

ex: they make a ID 0.5 x OD 1.0 x .375 in. thick seal in double or single lip nitrile …very close to the sierra 18 -2022

the actual Sierra size is .554 ID. x 1.0 OD X .375 thick

would a standard seal with ID tight 0.500 inch…… fit the prop shaft as a replacement to a sierra 18-2022 with 0.554 ID

if yes….. which is best single or double lipped seals

trying to save some $$$ on a nice $60 oldy

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by crosbyman.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member

Without taking the time to research the sizes, .054″ sounds like a big difference. If that is what it is supposed to be, I sort of doubt a .500 will go on the shaft (??)

Double lip is better.

I’ve used standard seals several times, but be cautious–if they have steel shells and garter springs, they may not last long. Probably ok for a sawhorse queen.

chris-p
        Participant

As Frank stated, you get what you pay for!

Steel shell seals will not last more than 12 months submerged in water. Salt water less than that.

I used to offer rubber coated seals to members for 5 a piece, but only a couple bought them so i stopped having them made up. Not enough volume.

I likely still have a dozen or so left if you want one.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

my skeg is dripping about a drop a day but darn it I am having trouble finding the source

I had assumed a shaft seal leak but it does not seem to come from the prop seal , case bolts or oil plugs so go figure ???

I think i’ll drain the gearcase use the air/ soap bubble routine to check for leaks

thanks for the offer Chris … let me do a few tests before going further

for some reason I really like this jubile 5.5 model it should make a fine troller but I may have to covert it to pump .

pressure tanks are almost more expensive than the motor

it needed carbon seal and plate (seal plate disappeared in my work zone 🙁 ) impeller, a rewind spring, coils etc…

the usual stuff …..

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

foot_doctor
            Participant

US Member

If you have a supplier that will provide a wide variety of manufacurers products, ask them to look in the Dichtomatic/TCM catalog. I regulary use their seals in the racing units I repair. Tell them you require a seal with dual lips, and a stainless steel spring. Measure your shaft size. I suspect it is .5625, which is 9/16 in. diameter. The .554 Sierra seal is probably meant for a .5626 shaft. (The TVM seals are steel wrapped with the nitrile resiliant exterior. R.T.

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Steel shell seals will not last more than 12 months submerged in water. Salt water less than that.

I used to offer rubber coated seals to members for 5 a piece, but only a couple bought them so i stopped having them made up. Not enough volume.

Chris,
                I’m sorry to hear you are not offering the rubber coated seals any longer. I bought a batch from you a while back and I’m getting low again. They work great and I have been very happy with them. I was starting to think about ordering again.
                -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Steve D
                Participant

Hi Chris, I sent you an email and a PM about these smaller seals. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.