Home Forum Ask A Member QD 10 HP Recoil Starters Rattle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have recoil starters on 1963 and 1958 10 HP Johnsons that rattle at mid to high throttle. On the 1963, I swapped on a recoil from a 1960 parts motor – same noise, but slightly less. If I take the recoils off and start it with a detached rope, the rattle goes away. There is no wear on the flywheels to indicate something rubbing. I can wiggle the pulley the rope is wound on up and down and hear the rattle on all of them. It’s probably a non-issue but I’d like to quiet them down and maybe stop further wear. On the 1960 and 1963, I tried removing the hardware directly behind the pull handle (part #18 in the link below) but that wasn’t the rattle either. Can I add a spacer washer to take up the rope pulley wobble to quiet them down? Is there some other part that I should replace? Link to exploded view below (basically the same for all three years except for the part behind the pull handle).
      Thanks! Dave

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1963&hp=10&model=QD-24&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Starter+Group

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by outbdnut2.
      Buccaneer
      Participant

Part #6 may be wore, or the inner bore of the rope pulley #6, or both.
        Not sure you can add a washer and still have the pulley turn freely.
        Some thick grease might help for a while between the parts mentioned.

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
        Participant

I had a slight rattle on my ’57 18hp and found the same slight wobble in the rope sheave. I inserted a thin nylon washer between the starter spindle and the spindle washer (#6 and 7 in the diagram) and that took care of the rattle. Don’t know if that’s the right fix but it worked for me. Imagine after a period of use, the nylon washer might wear and need to be replaced but we’ll cross that bridge later.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by bobw.
          russ
          Participant

Had the same problem a few weeks ago . Put a washer under each of the recoil 3 recoil posts then tightend up the screws. Worked for me but I could see a small wear mark on flywheel.Maybe worth a try . Good Luck……Russ…

frankr
            Participant

See that long rubber snout on the starter handle? That has a purpose, to jam in between the pulley groove and starter housing and keep it from rattling.

outbdnut2
              Participant

Thanks Frank – never thought of that! I’ll check to see if it’s worn too far to do the job.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by outbdnut2.
                billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

See that long rubber snout on the starter handle? That has a purpose, to jam in between the pulley groove and starter housing and keep it from rattling.

That is the most interesting thing I have heard in a long time! I always wondered why they did that! Having lots of Mark 25 Mercurys, I can safely say that you OMC guys don’t even know what a rattle IS, compared to a Mark 25 recoil, where half the time, the metal pawls are dinging off the metal flywheel…So I guess I never even had a complaint about an OMC recoil….

Long live American manufacturing!

outbdnut2
                  Participant

Now you’ve got me thinking…..If that rubber is worn, I’m thinking maybe I can add a piece of rubber gas line that’s close to the OD of the original and an ID that accommodates the rope to replace worn piece. These are motors I will not use much, so not worth a new handle if I can’t find a good one on one of my OMC parts motors. I’m thinking maybe I can glue rubber gas line to the rope with a cement that stays flexible, like shoe-goo? Anyone have thoughts on this? I see Marineengine has replacement handles for $23.49 for the 1963 10 HP that may also work on some of the other years if I’m ever wanting to do a correct restoration.
                    Dave

frankr
                    Participant

I’ve considered the hose fix but never tried it. Go for it and let us know

David Bartlett
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have used a piece of fuel line glued to the handle. Seems to do the trick.

David Bartlett
                        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.