Home Forum Ask A Member QD-17 Shift Adjustment Cam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

At the risk of asking the question with the obvious answer…here goes.
      I have just finished a 1956 Johnson (QD-17). Found in a pile of dirt and leaves so no history on the condition of the motor when found. Part of the work included a complete lower unit reseal.
      Upon completion of the work and prior to test running, everything seemed normal relative to shifting. (the gear set looked fine and aside from seals all looked normal and went back together normally.
      The transmission would shift F-N-R just fine while pulling the starting rope.
      The engine fired up on 3rd pull and adjusted into a nice slow idle and excellent throttle response.
      But…..when shifting into R the engine shifted fine but stayed in R when moving the lever back to N. Then….when moving the lever to F, it went into N.
      I went back to the brass couple to positively ensure it was connected to the shift rod correctly. Again, on the test stand and not running the trans shifted correctly through the F-N-R and back again.
      Back under power the problem reappeared. Never having to adjust the cam (376307) on the shift lever on any of my other QDs I overlooked it at first. Then, I loosened the machine screw and holding nut and moved the cam back and forth in the aft set of the two holes. I could observe through the removal plate how it changed the throw in the shift rod when the cam was moved in relation to the handle.
      Bottom line, I put it back where it was and everything seemed to work fine before running. This time everything worked fine under power. So I’m not going to fix what ain’t broke but I sure am curious as to why the cam and what I did to “fix” the problem. Why is the cam there?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

post disappeared —

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

The cause of shift problems in that model has been ware in the 304378 shift rod lever. Usually tightening the 303722 shift rod screw will fix it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by seakaye12.
          • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by seakaye12.
          • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by garry-in-michigan.
          garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I shouldn’t have tried to correct my typing error – my re-try disappeared. I will try again . . .

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Screen-Shot-2020-01-06-at-8.51.36-PM

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Screen-Shot-2020-01-06-at-8.51.36-PM-1

frankr
                Participant

US Member

You ask why the cam is there. Answer is the adjustment is provided to make the detent notches in the vertical interlock bar match the position of the shifter stuff (clutch dog) in the lower unit. Problems occur when wear in the linkage cause too much slop so people start adjusting things to favor forward gear. That’s OK up to a point, but with more wear it becomes so sloppy that the lower unit never goes completely in gear and clutch dog and gears wear out rapidly. Then major linkage repairs become over due.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

The usual cause of sloppy shifting (beside a loose shift rod connector) is a worn 303378 shift lever. It can usually be fixed by tightening the 303722 shift lever screw. [/color.

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

easy to tell if there is slop. hold the coupler on the vertical shaft then try to move the shift handle . slop will show up if there. and yes pull the powerhead to repair .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.