Home Forum Ask A Member QD19 running a little hot?

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

Like Mumbles stated, likely the exhaust gas is heating it up. When on plane, it is getting siphoned out more efficiently?

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Chris,
        Why no cooling at idle? My 53 Evinrude 15 gets warm but NEVER real hot. What are we missing?

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Robert,
          Something must be clogged where the water comes out. If you can try to run the hose down the water exit on the top of the leg once the powerhead is off. If you look in the inside of the leg below the plate what do you see? I do see the shaftway for the shift assembly linkage. I don’t see how it could be cooled because the hot water from the powerhead discharges below the handle, then all OMC motors are the same, shifter just below the powerhead. I’m still thinking something is clogged just below the powerhead in the leg.

beerman57
          Participant

I’ll pull the P/H again as soon as I feel inclined. I’ll tell ya, I’m batting 1000 with this motor – the lower unit shows a little water in the oil, so I was gonna fix it. The water pump is off, so I hook up my pressure tester and the seal plate under the W/P is leaking, so I shim the W/P housing bolts so it’s like the housing is bolted down and it holds pressure and vacuum. I spun, wiggled, pulled up/pushed down, shifted, sprayed with soapy water and can’t find a leak – holds pressure and vacuum.
            You know, I was thinking of keeping this motor, it has NOS crank, pistons, rings, main bearings, crank/conn. rod bearings. Updated to piston pin/conn. rod bearings. But I don’t think this motor likes me.
            I wanted to run it up on plane, to see if the cyl. head got hot, but think I should pull the P/H before running it again and check the exhaust cavity in the mid more closely.
            Nothing is clogged in the water discharge in the mid and I don’t remember the water coming out the telltail hole ever being too hot. I’ve looked down the mid and it’s wide open down to the bottom of the mid and the snout on the L/U isn’t clogged. I need to triple check the P/H base gasket, but I’m sure it’s right, it’s like the top picture that Mumbles posted. My ’62’ ten hp. needs the gasket on the left of the bottom pic.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Robert,
              If you would try running it with the plate back in place to see if that helps maybe? It keeps the exhaust gasses from recirculating & forces them out the bottom Chris said. Worth a shot anyway.
              Jeff

beerman57
              Participant

I haven’t taken that plate off that’s down in the rear cavity, but I sure have thought about it. Seems to me it would let the exhaust have a less restricted path down the mid, instead of forcing all of it through that small opening.

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, That blows my theory. Did you find any blocked holes anywhere? No blocked holes & I have no idea where to look now!
                  Any Johnson guys out there to help? Can’t stop the shift handle from getting hot! I’m lost Robert, I’ll listen & learn now.

beerman57
                  Participant

Pulled the P/H again, sent Jeff pics since I can’t post any. Nothing blocked, gasket is correct and in good shape. Plenty of water through the water tube. When you look at Mumbles pic of the green mid on page 5, the water exit hole is at the bottom, then the exhaust cavity. Now the exhaust passes under that narrow cross member to the cavity with the shift linkage. I know that plate just above the water exit hole is there for "some reason", but if my mid is getting hot for no apparent reason, taking off that plate would sure let the exhaust out quicker/easier. I’m seriously considering taking that plate off, since I can’t find anything wrong, anywhere.

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Robert,
                      I don’t know where to look now. We need someone other than me as I know little about Johnsons,
                      Jeff

beerman57
                      Participant

Can someone with a motor that is known to be cooling properly, run it, preferably on a hose or in a barrel with the water not very far up on the midsection, and tell me how hot (by feel) the upper midsection gets on the starboard side.
                        There is one small thing I noticed about the shift handle, the bushing through the mid is slightly worn, a small amount of exhaust must be making it through to the shift handle. That might have something to do with the shift handle getting hot, but I doubt if it has anything to do with the upper mid getting hot enough to boil water.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 61 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.