Home Forum Ask A Member RD18 Pinion Gear/Bearing

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bobw.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

Rebuilding the gearcase on my Johnson RD-18 and need to replace the pinion gear bearing. My parts list shows the gear and bearing as separate pieces, so I’m assuming the roller bearing can be pulled off the pinion gear and a new one pressed on?

IMG_5216

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I can’t imagine that the bearing wouldn’t press off and on.
        If you’re lucky, there’s a Timken or other brand number
        on it, and you can find a cheaper, non OMC part
        on Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
        Participant

US Member

There is a Timken bearing on it and I have the number for the bearing and race.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

frankr
          Participant

US Member

There are a shim or shims between the bearing and pinion gear, with several thicknesses available as required. Dang if I remember how to determine which sizes are required.

bobw
            Participant

US Member

Yes, I saw on the parts list there were several shim sizes available and was wondering how to determine what size to use. I was just planning to re-use whatever shims are on there. I could just buy a replacement gear/bearing assembly, part #375835 assuming that would be shimmed correctly.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

ede
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I do have a NOS 375835 pinion. Interested, send me a note, ede

olcah
                Participant

US Member

With advice from FrankR (Thank you Frank) I have replaced the bearing on a couple of those pinions. Here is what I do:

Using a hammer and cold chisel knock the bearing cage and the rollers off the bearing. I put the pinion in a vise between two pieces of wood. Then using a HFreight die grinder grind into the inner race. See photo. When the race is about paper thin the race will pry off the pinion easily. Grind carefully and you will hardly contact the pinion surface anywhere.

Reassemble by putting the pinion in the freezer and the bearing in the stove. I think I set the stove for 270F or so. I usually put some sheet metal over and under the bearing so it does not get local heating from the electric coils ( or from a gas flame if that is what you have.) High local heating could possibly change the bearing heat treatment. Remove the pinion from the freezer and place it upright on a hardwood board. Remove the bearing from the stove and place it onto the pinion. Use a rag on your pliers so you do not cool the bearing. Bearing should just drop down but have a hammer and wood dowel to tap the bearing to assure it is all the way down onto the shims and hold while things cool.

Be sure you assemble with the bearing taper in the right direction.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by olcah.
                  bobw
                  Participant

US Member

Olcah – thanks for sharing a workable approach. I had already planned for the freezing and heating when installing the new bearing but hadn’t thought through a plan for removing the old bearing. I’ve ordered the new bearing and when it arrives I’ll get after it. Thanks again.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.