Home Forum Ask A Member Re-magnetize a flywheel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fastjohn
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Has anyone tried to re-magnetize a rowboat motor flywheel with rare earth magnets, and how did you do it?

The Boat House
      Participant

I’ve done them John but it doesn’t help.
        There are a lot of people that will tell you
        different and I would have been one of them.
        I was so sure it would that I paid more for this
        thing than any motor I own – by a lot.
        After over 20 years of messing with this thing,
        increasing the amount of magnetism has little
        affect on increasing the spark at the RPM
        these motors start and run. I’d be glad to
        charge your flywheel if you want to ship it to
        me but it would be expensive. Be worth it if it
        really helped.
        Tubs

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

John,

Tom Peterson up in Neenah has one of those machines.

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

FastJohn,

Please post your results. I now know nothing abut recharging rare magnets but will study on the web to learn now I’m retired. Interesting consept. Metal must be magnitized before becoming a magnet. Maybr there are better tools for performing this process? I’ll get back to you. I’ve always ben interested in electrical.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

FastJohn,

Look on the web under neodymium magnets That is the tech name for rare earth magnets. I can’t read the fine print anymore, thanks covid but there is a wealth of data there. I remember you from Johns old Merc site.  One site shows an inverted charger from Tubs charger, put the part inside a winding & a machine made for providing the current or power suppy.Very interisting! Just guessing but it’s making some kind of powerfull electro magnet, identifying north & south poles & align with the rare earth magnets. The energy felt when magnets attract or repel is called guass or flux field. Im sure there are many advances in the process now! Good luck Jeff

Tubs

Have you ever taken the bottom cover off your recharger & does it look like a huge coil? What size wire is used?Does it have a bridge rectifier for the windings? Seems to me it would require direct current, anyone?

Trying to learn!

The Boat House
              Participant

There isn’t much in there Jeff . Couple coils, a trans former, a switch to change polarity
                and a button to energize. Mumbles built one. I’ve heard a car battery can be used as a
                power source. As far as the amount of magnetism a coil need to make a spark, I can
                best describe it as being like the volume on a radio. You can turn it up to make it louder
                but what is being transmitted is the same. However the speed that the magnet passes
                over the coil does increase the intensity of the spark. Often people check a flywheel
                magnet by dragging something over just 1 pole. To real get a indication of a magnets
                strength you need to bridge both poles.
                Video Link. https://youtu.be/PZ0uPBfUD7E?si=_YNzCI2rWB9BYx06
                Tubs

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tubs,

Thank you for the reoly. I did learn that the power supply must be direct current from your data requiring D.C. for a power supply. It didn’t make any sense to use alternating current when it changes from positive to negative 60 times a second or 60 hertz or cycles. With D.C. power the electro magnet has a pure north & south poles. A battery is the purest form of D,C. power, but you knew that  too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.