Home Forum Ask A Member Refilling Gear Lube on JW-10

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Yellowstone
    Participant

So I messed while putting a new impeller on and loosened the drive shaft from the pinion it sits in. I couldn’t get it to slide back into place with the gear lube in, so I drained that and then tried and was successful after lots of playing Yahtzee with the lower unit. Now, my question is, do I refill the lube from the top opening that says Refill with Hypoid Oil? Or do I use the lower opening that says Drain. It seems like a no brainer given the opening descriptions and while I can’t find specific text in the 1964 Johnson Manual, it does show the lube being put into the top opening in a photograph. The only reason I ask is other motors I read lots of other articles saying you should put the lube in from the bottom to avoid air bubbles. Thanks!

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Proper way is put it in from the bottom. However, the 3hp is kind of unique in that you can drizzle it in slowly from the top. Your choice.

Yellowstone
        Participant

Thanks. I figured it looked kind of unique to the rest of the models in the service manual. This has been a learning process but a fun and rewarding one. I’m learning all the parts of the motor for sure.

lindy46
          Participant

US Member

I fill from the bottom until it overflows from the top.

Yellowstone
            Participant

Thanks. I plan to use the lower opening to fill today so I can finish checking the points and getting ready to put the flywheel back on. Once the new torque wrench arrives.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.