Home Forum Ask A Member Removing Broken Tank Filters From OMC Three Horse Motors

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

All too often the sintered filter/screen attached to the fuel shutoff tap breaks off while trying to remove the tap from the tank and it can be a challenge to get it out in one piece. So, instead of driving it into the tank and fishing it out thru the filler opening, I thread it internally and draw it back out the way it went in.

I can’t remember what size tap I used but it might have been a 5/16 coarse. Whatever size will cut a thread inside the filter will work.

DSC00013-1

DSC00014-1

Once the threads are cut, a matching bolt, nut, and washer are screwed into the filter and then the nut is ran down to draw the filter out of the tank.

DSC00015-1

DSC00017-1

Now the filter and the other parts can be cleaned up and the filter can be epoxied back onto the tap for reuse. This method works slick with no muss or fuss.

DSC00018-1

DSC00019-1

DSC00016-3

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
      • This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
      Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

If I ever come across that type of sintered filter, now I know what to do!
        Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s a great idea, Mumbles! That happens to me pretty much every single time. So, once you get it out, it looks like you reuse it? Might as well explain your cleaning method and re-solder techniques, too….please?

Long live American manufacturing!

lindy46
          Participant

US Member

I’ve tried cleaning them by blowing carb cleaner through from the inside, but flow through the cleaned filter is never as good as flow through a new filter.

squierka39
            Participant

US Member

Neat trick Mumbles!

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have great luck using air conditioning evaporator coil cleaner. Comes in a qt bottle & green in color. A few oz a few times & it works well. At least with Merc sintered filters that are NLA.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What type of epoxy do you use that resists gas/oil?

Steve D
                  Participant

Since the area that is being epoxied isn’t technically “submerged” in fuel my guess is Marine-Tex or JB Weld would work. The couple I’ve come across over the years that were separated like that almost looked as though an 847 type adhesive was used on them originally.

jeff-register
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don,
                      We used regular J.B. Weld on many motorcycle fuel tanks from crashing our dirt bikes. Use regular, not fast setting.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

new carb nipple made with shorten and re-flanged brake line and JB WELD great stuff btw the brake line thread fits perfect in a carb inlet thread

needed it to replace a broken copper tube to the carb with a regular hose from the tank valve 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by crosbyman.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.