Home Forum Ask A Member Restore or old Johnson steel tank.. gaskets? Worth it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Beno
    Participant
      1. I’m taking just a few minutes to clean out this Johnson metal tank and give it a once-over before moving it on to its next owner and I pulled the top (see pics) and the gasket was pretty brittle I probably could have saved it

but I didn’t

so I’m going to cut a new gasket out of a bunnan or neoprene but then I started thinking maybe somebody has a bunch of these gaskets laying around economically?  Should I even bother restoring this or should I just chuck it?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Beno.
      tinkerman
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I think it’s worth saving if all it needs is cleaning and a gasket

It's a jungle out there.

wedgie
        Participant

Don’t chuck it !  $50.00 for the fuel connector alone last i looked .

$30 for the gasket  kit.  Might have to modify the diaphragm by punching another hole, depending on which diaphragm yours takes.  vintageoutboard.com

Dual fuel line is available. You might even be able to get some reasonably from another club member .

Fuel fitting can be rebuilt with new o-rings if needed.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by wedgie.
          Beno
          Participant

And any advice on this part? Should I wire wheel? Sandblast? Vinegar dip?

I can make a new pump knob out of a piece of aluminum a my lathe .

frankr
            Participant

Who knows what’s inside that sack?  There is supposed to be a filter.  Inside that is a check valve,  Won’t work without the check valve.  You may also need to make a new push rod for the primer button.   Bottom end of the rod has to be flat where it contacts the diaphragm support washer to prevent leakage.  You’ll see what I’m talking about when you get in there.

reivertom
              Participant

If it isn’t full of rust holes, it’s worth saving. The parts are worth saving if the tank isn’t.

ede
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Beno, Have all of the parts you need,  Send me an email:  eddelliott@cox.net  Ed Elliott, member AOMCI

Beno
                  Participant

Thanks Ed, maybe later this week I will try to get back to the gas tank restore. operation.

Ben

boscovius
                    Participant

From what I can see that tank isn’t all dented up.  I’d say it’s a keeper.

Beno
                      Participant

Sorry guys. I’ve got way too much other stuff going on that to deal with this tank.  Sadly I uploaded pics of what I have and I listed the lot you know where.

Hopefully someone who want to restore it will get it and happiness will restore the world..  or not.

Shipping is going to be the killer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.