Home Forum Ask A Member Rough estimate for a boat loaded to go out on the water?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

Howdy folks. Doing a project for a class.

I was wondering what I could expect a 14 foot fiberglass boat with aluminum prow deck and seats, and a remote steering system that’s been prepped for a day on the water to weigh. I was hoping that everyone here would be able to get me a fairly close estimate, within 25lbs if possible?

The boat would be a ’56-57 Herter’s Mk III Runabout, claimed weight from the manufacturer was 210lbs, shipping weight was 265lbs
      6 gallons of gas + tank would be 6.75lbs ? One gallon of gas is 6.22lbs, six gallons and associated would be 40lbs
      ’55 25HP Evinrude is (I believe) 85lbs ? EDIT: 118lbs + 9lbs electric start + battery and wiring (15-30lbs for an ATV/Motorcycle battery) –
      Thanks Garry
      Small anchor and rope, 16 lbs or so.

Things like tools and lifejackets would ride in the bed of the truck, so don’t need to be accounted for.

Thanks

Mumbles
      Participant

The weight of the gas would be close to six lbs per US gallon plus the weight of the tank and hose. Oil mixed with the gas would make it slightly heavier.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

The 1955 Big Twin model is heavier – 118 pounds. Electric start would add 9 pounds (and the weight of the battery), a long shaft for a 20" transom would add 5 pounds. . . 😀

mr-asa
          Participant
            quote Mumbles:

The weight of the gas would be close to six lbs per US gallon plus the weight of the tank and hose. Oil mixed with the gas would make it slightly heavier.

I thought about the oil, but I didn’t think it would change the weight much? For six gallons at 24:1 that’s a quart. Neglected the hose and fittings though.

quote Garry in Tampa:

The 1955 Big Twin model is heavier – 118 pounds. Electric start would add 9 pounds (and the weight of the battery), a long shaft for a 20" transom would add 5 pounds. . . 😀

Excellent info, Garry. I’ll edit the first post.

davidk
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

As Mumbles is suggesting (I think) the gas + tank would be 36.75 lbs….plus a quart of oil, not the 6.75 lbs you listed. You didn’t edit that which makes me think you’re missing it.

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

6 gallon tank full is close to #40lbs

mr-asa
                Participant

Long week, sorry for the delay.

quote DavidK:

As Mumbles is suggesting (I think) the gas + tank would be 36.75 lbs….plus a quart of oil, not the 6.75 lbs you listed. You didn’t edit that which makes me think you’re missing it.
                  quote Dave Bernard:

6 gallon tank full is close to #40lbs

Hey guys, I missed the conversion as I was heading out the door that night. Yes, one gallon of gas weighs 6.216lbs

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Big question!
                    Life jackets left behind? Account for everything please,

1946zephyr
                    Participant

If you use a manual start 18, you’ll save a lot of weight

mr-asa
                      Participant
                        quote Jeff Register:

Big question!
                        Life jackets left behind? Account for everything please,

They ride in the truck, so are not taken into account for this.

I’m trying to get the weight applied to the trailer tires and the hitch. The boat and everything that would ride in it are the only variables I can’t figure out on my own right now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.